Time to start killing Bullwinkle - OT

Norway's Moose Population in Trouble for Belching

The poor old Scandinavian moose is now being blamed for climate change, with researchers in Norway claiming that a grown moose can produce 2,100 kilos of methane a year -- equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a

13,000 kilometer car journey.

Well, at least the k00ks aren't just blaming Man for "Climate Change".

I wonder if moose are eligible for Carbon Credits?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wow. A 35,000 moose hunting season? Holy crap. I wonder what the daily limit is? 80? I know a couple of MH-53 .50cal gunners, maybe they can get sent over there for some practice. Or maybe we can send a AC-130 Spectre over there and get it done in a few hours. I'm thinking way too much about this, something's wrong.

Reply to
qslim

You aren't really interested in meat or trophies, are you, Q? ;)

Me? There's room for all God's creatures...

Right next to the mashed potatoes...

Oh, AC130 Spectre="Puff the MAgic Dragon", am I correct?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, the AC-47 gunship used in Vietnam was originally known as "Puff". Had 3 or 4 mini guns (either 20mm or 7.62, I can't remember) and a shit load of flares. The spectre gunship is based off of the venerable C-130, and has a few .50cals, 25mm gatlins, 40mm auto guns, and a 105mm Howitzer and carries on the same nickname. One of our Spectres from the other end of the flightline here got the honor of starring in Transformers (well, not really starring, more like a 10 sec clip of it laying down 105 rounds shells with 40mm suppressing fire on a robot). Everyone was jealous as hell last summer when a crew got to go TDY to star in a movie. BTW, I was talking to one of the AC-130 crew chiefs once, and he said that this thing is capable of laying a round in every square foot of a football field in one pass.

Reply to
qslim

I used to test the gearboxes in the props that make them flight-adjustable...

Reply to
Hachiroku

What do those involve? What aspect of the prop is flight adjustable? I work around jets, so I know exactly zippy of props.

Reply to
qslim

The flight engineer or pilot can adjust the pitch of the props from the cockpit. Unfortunately, since I am not a pilot, I don't know what this does. All I know is 'feathering' the prop (turning it into the wind so it doesn't turn) when an engine goes bad.

Think of a fan, and what would happen if you could adjust the pitch of the fan blades...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Fine pitch is used for take off and landing: in effect its a torque multiplier, the rough equivalent of using second gear up a hill, so if you need power (eg on aborting a landing) you have merely to increase the revs. Coarse pitch is equivalent to 5th gear: good for economy at a constant cruising speed.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks, Stewart! I knew the pitch would have to do with 'power' somehow, but wasn't sure how.

Hey, I tested the gearboxes. Not the aircraft!!

Reply to
Hachiroku