Timing Belt, Corolla 1997 1.8 Ltr

According to Gates none of the 1997 1.8liter sohc,dohc,or diesel are interfernce engines.

tomcas

I thought the 1.8 had a timing chain. Scott

Reply to
zonie

What is strange is that '93 to '97 1.8L in the Corolla does not indicate interference, while the '93 to '97 1.8L in the Prizm does have the asterisk designating it as interference. They share the same engine (7A-FE). Anyone knowledgeable about the 7A-FE know which type it is?

Reply to
Truckdude

Nope. The '93 thru '97 Corolla/Prizm with the 1.8L (7AFE) has a timing belt.

Reply to
Truckdude

7AFE (1800cc) has a belt driven cam (intake cam is gear driven off the exhaust cam) and is non interference.

In 1998 model year, the all new replacement engine (1ZZFE, 1800cc) has chain driven cams and is interference.

Reply to
Philip

Thanks.

Then it understandable why the owners manual does not make replacement of the timing belt a requirement. Only in the case of commercial or severe service does the manual require replacement at 60,000 mile intervals. Since I only drive 5 miles to and from work, I'll let it go for now (I have a second car).

Philip wrote:

Reply to
HKEK