Toyota Corolla help needed

Hi:

I have a 2002 Corolla which I have regular servicing done since I bought it until recently ( when I got busy with a move). It has just crossed the 30,000 mile mark.

Every 3 months or 3,000 miles (since I did not drive a whole lot, it would really be every 3 months) I got an oil change done. I also did the recommended 15,000 mile service from the Toyota dealership. Recently after a move, I am needing to do a lot more driving. Because I was busy its been more than 5 months since the last oil change and I am about 3500 miles from my last oil change. I intend to take it in this week - my question is, have I caused much harm to the car as a result of this delay ?

The dealership wants me to do a 30,000 mile tuneup which costs about $500 dollars. Is this worth it and do you recommend it ? Can I get it done elsewhere cheaper ?

I have had no major problems with the car - only once I had to replace a dented fuel pan which was caused when I had driven over a speed bump too fast.

Thanks!

Reply to
polygeny

No measurable harm was done as a result of the delay.

IMO, $500 seems very high for a 30,000 mile tuneup. There may be unneeded items in the dealership's 30 k service. I recommend that you look at the recommended maintenance items in your owner's manual and ask the dealership for a price for just those items. You can ask a reputable AAA-approved service facility to give a price for the same maintenance items. If the car needs spark plugs or brake parts, I recommend that you have only genuine Toyota parts installed.

Reply to
Ray O

You'll probably notice that the recommended oil change interval in the Toyota book is 5,000 miles. My '83 Camry is still going strong at

250,000 miles with oil changes at 5,000 or longer (the worst was 10,000, what Toyota recommended at that time). You have caused no harm by going 3500 miles on the oil.

Read the manual and see what Toyota recommends. When I bought my '86 MR2, the first scheduled maintenance was at 60,000 miles! And at that the only thing that was worn was the alternator belt. Modern cars do not need service at 15,000 intervals.

Note this doesn't count wear and tear items. Oil changes still need to be done. Air filters need to be replaced. But that doesn't require a tune up.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger