toyota, honda must fess up to less vroom

Who said anything about FAST? Even an Echo can go fast enough to earn a citation. It is 'quick' that is important for ones safety, the ability of the vehicle to get up to the speed of the other traffic without getting run over and to maintain speed on grades. Toyota basic engines are not up to the task, generally. One needs to spend the extra bucks for a V6 in the Camry for example to be able to do that safely. The 4 cy in a vehicle the size of the Camry is barely up to the task, with the throttle to the floor in flat country, in a mountainous area it is a slug. Toyota dealers in this area stock mostly V6 Camrys for that reason

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You should say in my opinion if you do not agree with the part that said most of the models in Toyota's lineup have less oomph than the company has advertised.. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hahahah. If that were true to any significant degree, cars with smallish engines would usually be ranked as unsafe. Rav4s, with their 4-bangers and Camrys, with their 4-bangers are among the safest cars on the road (IIHS stats, go look 'em up).

I've been all over the US (yeah, the Rockies, too) and I haven't found a grade on a major thoroughfare where my 114hp Volvos couldn't maintain the speed limit.

I've never been in a situation where shaving .3 sec off my 0-60 time was going to keep me out of trouble.

By the way, that's the difference in 0-60 time between the 2006 3.5L V6 Impala and the 2006 2.4L I4 Camry. Just .3 seconds.

***
Reply to
dh

MUST...NOT...SAY...IT...

-LMB

The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Smart boy...

Natalie, fwapping the Ford-man in advance

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

In Consumer's Reports opinion AND my opinion...

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

You should read the fine print. They have just as much power as before, Toyota now uses a different rating system, with the new "number" being within 10% of the old "number." This is something that happened in the past to domestic manufacturers, almost all engines were rated differently in the '60's and there was a switch in the '70's (may have been the '80's). Actual engine output didn't change, just the number. A car that would 0-60 in 10 seconds (which was considered fairly quick back then) would still 0-60 in 10 seconds.

The 2.4L I4 2006 Camry goes 0-60 in just .3 seconds more than the 3.5L V6

2006 Impala and gets much better fuel economy. It's not underpowered, it's just more effective. Oh, and it costs less. And holds its value better.

If all the I4 Camrys were underpowered, 70 to 80% of buyers would not choose to take one home with an I4, most would move up to the V6.

Perhaps Impala sales would improve if GM took some of the flab off it (it's about 400 lbs heavier than the Camry) and gave it a more economical engine option. Well, I don't suppose GM could get an effective I4 into it - auto rewiewers would probably drive it and then overload the M-W.com web site seeking synomyms for "slow."

>> > 350/1148

***
Reply to
DH

Wait a gosh-darned minute here... He didn't say it, and you fwapped him anyway? I say, Ma'am - is this any way to reward proper behavior?

;-P -->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Perhaps but try flooring the throttle at 60 MPH on a grade and see which one has the torque to get out of the way of that semi that is on your butt. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah. I'm going to worry about a semi catching me going UP HILL.

Sheeesh. How stupid can you get?

***
Reply to
DH

Then you need to run the interstates over the mountains in PA, VA, TN or .KT. You will see big rigs passing 4cy Camrys every day LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Been there. Except KT. We don't have a KT. Also driven through CO, AZ, UT, WY and NM. Bigger mountains there.

Come back when you can tell the difference between "up hill" and "down hill."

***
Reply to
DH

He likes it

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Hey Natalie,

Your newsreader is doing the extra line thing again. I counted 21 lines at the end of your post. Since your server isn't going to fix it maybe if you added a signature to your outgoing posts that might pare it hopefully.

If you are staying with this server just because it's free, there are other free text-only ones available that are very nice. I use ReadFreeNews but I don't think they are taking new subscribers anymore. Another good one is Datemas

badgolferman

Dammit - I thought we fixed that! Thanks for the info!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Idiot. More HP=more acceleration. Period. Cars have multiple-ratio transmissions to supply the torque to the drive wheels, which is the only place where it matters, and the only things that matter is the HP the engine is producing and the drivetrain's efficiency in delivering that power to the wheels. Stupid top poster.

Reply to
dizzy

In my opinion you're an f'ing retard.

Reply to
dizzy

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can we assume you were never a member of the NHRA? That OK dizzy AKA, stupid, troll, moron, idiot, etc we did not expect you to know the importance of the relationship between the RPMs, at which torque and HP are obtained, in getting a vehicle going from a stop and keeping it moving on a grade. LOL

mike hunt

"dizzy AKA, stupid, troll, mor>

Reply to
Mike Hunter