Toyota supra 87 power lock problem

I own a Toyota supra '87, this morning i found out that my car was unlocked, so i pushed the lock button and I thought it was locked , then I realized it was still unlocked, when I went inside the car to check the locks, I saw that both locks (Passenger and driver) didn go all the way , they got stucked like in the middle.

Has anyone had this problem before? It just got cold in Tennesse, don't know if that could be a factor, and just need lubrication. but it seems strange that both doors have the same problem.

thank you

Reply to
Goinsane

There are a few possible causes:

  • Someone may have tried to slim-jim the car - tried 1 door, was unsuccessful, then tried the other door, bending the lock rods in the process.
  • Coincidence - lock rods are binding
  • Coincidence - lock actuators are binding
Reply to
Ray O

So, you press the button, and you don't hear a Ca-CHUNK!?

Try pressing the lock on the passenger's side. If the doors lock and unlock, chances are it's the switch on the driver's door.

The switch on the driver's door gets a LOT of use, and these have a tendancy to wear out. What I have found on different models:

  1. The switch just 'wears out'. There is a lot of current going through this switch. The build up carbon that keeps the contacts from making contact, and keeps the doors from locking. You may be able to remove the switch without removing the door panel by GENTLY prying it out. Look at the contacts. If they are black, this could be the problem. If you can solder, flow some solder over the contacts. Or, get an emery board or a small file and file the contacts nice and shiny. It's a good idea to flow some solder after doing this to protect the copper.

  1. Is the plastic switch worn? This is more common on the Supras. The plastic gets brittle with years, and one of the pivots breaks off, causing the switch not to press on the contact. at a Toyota dealer, and easy to replace. Try pressing the switch and holding it down while moving it side to side to chack this.

  2. The door control got wet and is malfunctioning. You're going to have to remove the door panel for this one. The lock control is in the driver's door, near the bottom. You'll see the wiring running to it. The door control rarely goes bad. If the other suggestions didn't work, check the wiring and make sure the connectors are seated properly.

Good luck. Let's hear what you find, esp if it's something different!

Reply to
Hachiroku

OK...I'm not awake yet. You SAID it was a Supra!!! DUH!

In this case, the first thing is to check the switch on the driver's door. This is real common, and probably is the fact that the switch plastic became brittle and the pivot broke. Press and hold the very end of the switch and 'jiggle' your finger while doing so. It will probably lock.

GENTLY!!!! pry the trim plate out of the door. BE CAREFUL! There are metal tabs that hold the trim into the door, and can become dislodged easily. When I first got mine, the door kept locking and unlocking at will. What had happened was one of the metal tabs dislodged and was hitting the contacts.

Look at the trim plate and make sure that there are two brass metal retainers. If not, one has fallen off and lodged in the switch. I would disconnect the battery before digging. Locate the brass part, and if the trim panel is not broken you can glue it back on. I used VELCRO glue; it's the BEST Super Glue I have ever found. I repaired broken brittle plastic pieces all over my '88 this way.

Once you get the trim plate off, you'll see the switch. Take a good look at the plastic rocker and see if one of the lobes in the middle of the plastic rocker has broken off. Go to the dealer and spend the $7 for a new one, snap it into place by GENTLY pressing the lobes slightly (not on the lobes directly!) and snap it in.

I'm telling you to do this...I just reach over and hit the button on the passenger's side! Sometimes it will work if I press the very end of the rocker on the driver's door and hold it there for a while, or jiggle my finger.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, crummy instruction. Be careful, if you're not you'll ruin the door insert or break the trim plate.

The absolute BEST way to do this is remove the door panel, if you don't think you can remove the trim plate without damaging something. I think this is the prescribed method, since the metal tabs really lock themselves into place by digging into the chipboard.

By prying gently I mean, like taking a plastic tool or CAREFULLY with a screwdriver, pressing on the ends of the trim plate. I got away with it, without snapping or gouging anything...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Your battery could be getting weak from:

Old age, cold weather Alternator about to go Bad connections at the battery

I had a severely corroded Positive battery connection on my sentra, not the big thick postive connection, but the other connection to the + on the battery which feed power to the accessories.

Try those.

Hope this helps

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Thank you guys for all your posts, I'm almost sure that this problem with the locks has to do with the weather, yesterday the weather was around 70 degrees, and guess what.. the lock worked, I tried that same night when the weather was between the 40's and 50's and the locls didn't go all the way I has to lock the car with the keys. Now the problem is that I dont know what the bad weather could be affecting the power locks. I thought if I had a old battery which it is not old I could not even turn the car on. . Definitely I'm gonna start with the battery and the terminals. Anyone else think of other reasons?

thanks

Codifus wrote:

Reply to
Goinsane

Do the doors lock when you use the key in the doors? You said you 'pushed the button'. Did you try the button on the passenger's door?

The contacts in the door switches get corroded and get a build-up on them from the current flowing through them. An Emery board and a slight coat of solder will cure this condition. but be careful of the plastic rockers that go over the switches.

They may also be loaded with condensation on cold days, and not working properly.

Reply to
Hachiroku