vibration in steering wheel and floor?

This may be splitting hairs, but in the auto industry, a "mechanic" is someone who works on the mechanical parts of the car, while a "technician" is someone who is familiar with all of a car's systems, including emissions and electrical systems. Dealerships hire technicians, while many aftermarket chains and shops hire mechanics.

Reply to
Ray O

Bruce L. Bergman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Or you can just mount the damn things properly in the first place. Most tires are badly mounted, even the ones done with whiz-bang golly-gosh equipment.

Raise the car and spin the wheels. You'll see why "perfect balance" still vibrates.

Those "road force" balancers cannot MOUNT the tires properly. Worse, they can fail perfectly good tires that are poorly mounted because they will be reporting "road force variance" that is simply due to the poor mounting.

How many tire monkeys can tell you what those red and yellow dots are for? How many shops actually USE those dots? How many tire shops use tire mounting paste instead of dish soap? Very, very few.

They also never pass up an opportunity to hire monkeys and train them badly.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, you are indeed focusing too literally on one specific word. I agree, no one but a qualified mechanic should work on my car. Previously, I referred to the mechanic as a local repair shop that I trust. I refer to Discount Tire and their staff as something less than mechanics when related to this other repair shop. Sure, they're mechanics-- but, like you said, only until the ends of the lugnuts. Just because anyone that works with cars could be considered a mechanic, that certainly does not mean I trust just ANY mechanic to diagnose my problem.

I know you think only one ENTITY should be diagnosing this problem. But when Discount Tire is going to continually balance my tires for free and the local repair shop will charge each hour, I will continue to use Discount for tire related issues (as long as that issue is related to the new set of tires which I am experiencing problems with).

And are you saying that the technicians at Discount Tire are not qualified? Certainly they are not as qualified as others and they may have some problems with getting it right the first time, but c'mon, enough time and experience with a balancing machine and things should eventually work. I can handle taking my car back for that. I just want to know whether or not the issue is tire or car related- and on Thursday, I will know. And I do care if a "real mechanic" costs twice as much-- as I do not have that money to throw around. Instead, I'll spend less at what I think is a reliable repair shop to look more in- depth for the problem while doing a scheduled tune-up thus saving money for other things I know the car needs. Then, if the tires are the problem, I will pay nothing for Discount Tire to take care of it.

Nice sarcasm, you really got your point across.

Reply to
spartan.tree

Yeah, we'd better create a glossary so JoeSpareBedroom and I don't go at it about what a mechanic is... especially a "real mechanic." Is there a definition for that? :-P

Reply to
spartan.tree

That's where they have to walk a fine line - I won't go back if they're ham-handed about it. Trying to upsell racing gumballs to the Little Old Lady from Pasadena who would never use the grip...

But there /are/ junk tires on the market that are built to a price for OEM sales (but they also market them retail for Loss Leaders) and you really don't want them on any car. Sometimes an extra $20 gets you a lot more in ride and handling /and/ in service life.

Good move. How old are the shocks/struts?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well, these tires were part of a package. The retail price on the tires is $57 each. In the package, they were sold as $40 each. So, if I want any "upgrade," it will probably cost a few bucks per tire. The weird thing is that these tires are rated for a high speed and are considered more of a performance tire. To get something less performance oriented but better suited to my car would now cost more. But, we'll see how well they "work with me." That was my mistake--not investigating the tire beforehand and then just getting the package deal. Perhaps a passenger tire will fit this car much better. I'm leaning towards Kuhmo's...

I don't know. I'm guessing they're the originals. The car now has over 143K (I've owned it since 142,000) and there are no receipts or maintenace records for shocks and struts. It's funny, the previous owner kept perfect records in the maintenance log up until 90,000.

the mileage though, the car does handle, drive, and look quite nice.

Reply to
spartan.tree

I would say that a "real mechanic" is a mechanic that is not a figment of someone's imagination

Reply to
Ray O

I guess that's where you and I have different definitions of "mechanic", or Ray's word, "technician", a word adopted because it sounds better. As far as I'm concerned, there is no second chance - no such thing as not getting it right the first time. If a shop is using you and your car to train amateurs, they should pay you, not the other way around.

Last autumn, our local news mentioned that a vehicle on the NY State Thruway ended up in a ditch, killing the passenger. The state police usually check out these things. If I recall, it was a failed ball joint or CV joint - someone else here can suggest which was more likely. I wonder which slug of a "mechanic" missed that.

Two summers ago, a car drove half its length into the convenience store part of a gas station. Luckily, nobody was standing right inside the window, although 50 cases of soda ended up broken. The driver said his brakes failed. Cops found metal to metal contact at the front brakes, little or no fluid left, and the best part: It had gotten its NY state inspection ***TWO DAYS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT***. The "mechanic" was arrested. I don't know what the charges were, but apparently, the driver didn't seem to be the type that would bribe the inspector to ignore problems. So, I guess it was assumed that the "mechanic" was just taking the money and slapping on new stickers, without looking at the car.

So, you keep playing with words all you want. But, it's going to catch up with you one day.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're right. We'll see what happens there...

Accidents happen every day and could be the result of many factors. I certainly do not live my life in fear of the worst case scenario! And yes, I am willing to spend some money to determine the cause of my car's problems. I am not avoiding spending money just because I fear a major repair job. I'm just being frugal, careful, and patient with this process. If I had to drive 70mph every day for many miles, then I would be more concerned. But a 5 minute drive to work each day and a seldom 200 mile drive at 70mph will keep me comfortable with my situation.

Eh, sitting here playing with words has little to do with what happens to my car. By the way, I found an awesome "techni-mechanic tire spinner" downtown on the corner. Says $20 will cure all my ills.

Reply to
spartan.tree

What's interesting is that in the month or two after hearing about the failed ball joint (?) on the news, I saw 3 cars on the side of the road with one front wheel collapsed diagonally under them. I asked my mechanic about that. He said it was most likely failed ball joints. VERY failed. I guess it's not so uncommon. But, very easy to check, and if the car's already on the lift for something else, like an oil change, a good mechanic will do a quick check of things like that. At least move things around and listen for noises. Not only does it benefit you, but him, too. More business.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, thanks to all for the suggestions, ideas, and concerns. My car got a clean bill of health from a local repair shop (along with some freon for the 90 degree weather we're having). The tires and or wheels are definitely the problem.

By the way, last time I went to Discount Tire they rotated and re- balanced the tires. Well, now I don't feel much vibration in the steering wheel-- it's in the seat! So, it's obvious that the problem is with one of the tires and or wheels or with how they are mounted. I'll be heading back AGAIN to have them replace the faulty tire or wheel... quite ridiculous overall.

Reply to
spartan.tree

Definitely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's possible that they bent one of your rims dis-mounting the old tires or mounting the new ones. It's more likely that they sold you an out-of-round tire. If you feel the vibration in the seat now but not in the steering wheel, the bad tire/rim is on the rear now. Jack up one of the rear wheels, one at a time, and spin it while watching the tire. Look for the surface of the tire to move up and down as the wheel spins. Also, watch the rim where the tire bead seats to the rim. See if the rim either moves up and down or side to side as the wheel spins. You could also have a tire that has a broken belt under the tread, that can be harder to find.

If everything looks okay, you probably have an out of balance tire. Take it back and raise holy-he-- with them until they fix your problem. In any case, never but NEVER do business with them again and tell all your friends what wonderful service they provide. Be sure that they understand you are going to do this.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me