Volkswagen Regrets

The dealer must have failed three times to correct the same defect before one can exercise their rights under the new car lemon law. The best thing an owner can do, to increase ones chance of getting a replacement vehicle under the new car lemon law, is to make sure the problem has been corrected BEFORE you take it back from the dealership. Since generally the lemon law only applies during the first 12/12. If you accept the vehicle you are agreeing the problem has been corrected. If the problem REOCCURS, the three times starts over.

One can still prevail, but it is more difficult if you accept the vehicle and may require an attorney and litigation. If you prevail the manufacturer pays the cost but you are stuck if you do not. Most often the settlement is an upgrade to the current model year vehicle for the difference in the invoice price and a per mile fee.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Total number of recalls.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OK. I think more information is needed for that to be truly meaningful. Matter of fact, I'm POSITIVE about this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A recall means the manufacturer has _admitted_ a problem exists, and is willing to make it good.

Denial results in few recalls, until forced by a regulating body.

But then again, you know that. LOL!

Reply to
B A R R Y

I don't believe this is true for 2007. Care to provide any support for the claim, or you just going to make stuff up?

Here is the list I found for the most recalled cars of 2007 (as of August - see

):

- VW New Beetle - brake light switch -1,002,000 units

- Toyota Sequoia - lower ball joint - 533,124 units

- Jeep Liberty - blower motor - 149,605 units

- Nissan Altima - air filter - 140,582 units

- Hyundai Tuscon - air bag - 128,300 units

- Dodge Nitro / Jeep Wrangler - PCM - 80,894 units

- Suzuki Forenza / Reno - seat belts - 75,697 units

- VW Passat / Passat Wagon - vacuum line / wiper motor - 58,800 units

- Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler 300, Dodge Caliber, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Compass, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler - ABS - 50,665 units

- Infiniti G35 Coupe - headlamps - 23,934 units

- Chevrolet Aveo - fuel system - 17,676 units

- Nissan Versa - seat belts - 16,309 units

- GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook - air bags - 13,032 units

- Ford Expedition - tires - 10,061 units

To be honest, in terms of number of vehicles (not just cars) recalled this year, Ford is probably #1 because they are essentially recalling every truck to revise the cruise control deactivation switch circuit. It is arguable whether or not this switch is really a problem, but Ford is recalling everything that wasn't previously recalled. I assume they want to kill this PR problem once and for all.

On the other hand, Toyota has had to recall quite a few 2007 models. In most cases only a few vehicles of each type are effected. Here is a list of 2007 Toyota models that have been recalled:

2007 Toyota Tacoma - Driveline - 108 units 2007 Toyota Sequoia - Master cylinder - 13,128 units / Ball Joints - 533,124 units 2007 Toyota Camry Solara - Air Bags - 160 units 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser -Tires - 9,434 2007 Camry - Air Bags - 133 Units

These are recalls for 2007 models that were recalled this year (2007).

There are also 2007 recalls for prior year models but I don't feel like listing all those..

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Not only did Toyota admit to the ball joint problem, but they sent reminder after reminder after reminder, and did the work for free over a year later. (Maybe that's normal, though).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There is no correlation between the number of recalls (or the number of cars recalled) and the quality of a car, unless it gets excessive for major components/systems. Most recalls are for minor issues, such as the recent floor mat recall by Toyota.

In fact, if a manufacturer voluntarily does a recall, it may be an indication of better service.

Reply to
Mark A

Aha yes - and Toyota is infamous for denying the existence of problems and covering them up. The recent ball joint episode is a classic case of Toyota trying to wish awaysignificant problem. Literally within days of NHTSA forcing a recall, Toyota agreed to institute a voluntary recall.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Toyota admitted to the problem only after NHTSA opened a defect investigation. NHTSA was within days of forcing a recall when Toyota finally caved in an instituted a voluntary recall. It is claimed 7 people died because of the defective ball joints while Toyota attempted to deny there was a problem.. Even after Totyota was forced to admit there was a problem, they tried to blame it on a US manufacturer, until it was found the bad balljoints came from Japan.

If NHTSA had not forced the issue, Toyota would still be denying there was a problem.

I am not saying Toyota is worse than all other manufacturers when it comes to fighting recalls, but I am saying they are nothing special either.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well that was a recall of Floor Mats, not cars....

But when is a recall truly voluntary? The Toyota ball joint recall was voluntary because if Toyota didn't do it voluntarily, NHTSA was going to force one. Sort of like voluntarily jumping off a bridge with a gun at your back.

I think you could classify the last two rounds of the Ford cruise control deactivation switch recall as voluntary, since NHTSA did feel there was a defect. On the other hand, it was not voluntary in the sense that Ford was trying to avoid yet more bad publicity and lawsuits (whether they were justified or not).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes, but ask 100 people if they think floor mats can cause safety problems. My guess is that most will say no, and they would be wrong. Sometimes, I suppose the guvmint or the car maker has to compensate for the customer's failure to be observant. If it's an issue that might only hurt the customer, maybe it could be ignored. But, that's not the case with the floor mats.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Every state has its own lemon law. If you feel that you may benefit from the lemon laws, you need to learn about the lemon law in your state.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That is one reason I said, 'Since GENERALLY the lemon law only applies during the first 12/12.'

Look here AUTOPEDIA®: State by State Lemon Law Summaries

mike

[...]

The fact is every manufacturer builds some that are not up to snuff on occasion and most recalls are voluntary. Most are based on information coming from dealers, via increased warranty claims, or from something noted on the assembly line.

ALL manufacturers generally when they discover problem, they try to determine from the build date, which particular vehicles should be recalled and check to see if the problem involves any of those particular vehicles built during that time period. The majority of vehicles so inspected generally are not effected.

The reason I have pointed out Toyotas increased numbers is to show that the more vehicles ANY manufacture sells the more likely that it is that defects WILL occur. Not that Toyota is any worse or any better than any other manufacture, when it comes to building some that are not up to the standards for which they strive.

As you will note when other manufacturers issue a recall somebody that normally post in this Toyota NG, will cross post the recall event in other NGs, to indicate that brand is not up to par and a BAD thing. When a recall event is posted from Toyota all of a sudden it a GOOD thing, showing Toyota takes care of ITS customers. I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of those posters.

With all of the new cars I have owned, foreign and domestic I have rarely had a recall. None of my vehicle that were recalled, when inspected, ever had the problem.

Two of the most failure prone vehicles I have ever owned were a '51 Chevy and a '07 Lexus LS. Both of which developed all of their problems after I sold or gave them to relatives, however ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota is not unique in that respect. It is the law, every manufacture to required to locate original owners of a recall. If the original owner does not return the notice that they no longer own the vehicle, the manufacturer is off the hook, if they do the sequent owner will be notified if known. If the original owner does not return the vehicle for inspection and repair, if necessary, they are required to send two more message requesting the vehicle be returned to a dealership. If the vehicle is not returned the VIN is placed on the list of uncompleted recalls, so that it may be completed if it shows up at a dealership for service or is traded. Most recalls involve a free repair but not all are free, by the way.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The fact remains Toyota had the highest number of recalls in 2006. So far for 2007 they also have the highest number of recalls, some involving prior year models.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You mean something like the sludge denial?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You mean like you are POSITIVE the Iraq war is not part of the war on radical Islamic terrorist? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I understand your frustration at not having taken a stats course any time in your life. You could still do it. Isn't there a college nearby?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yup! Although there is a chance that at least SOME sludge could have been from poor maintenance.

The VW / Audi coil pack denial, the Ford ignition switch fires, Saturn seats that collapse, Ford cruise control, and Chrysler fuel leaks had little chance of being caused by the owner.

Reply to
B A R R Y