What can go wrong with replacement of timing belt?

Hello, got timing belt replaced at the shop on Corolla94. Now driving car feels different. Acceleration increased, steering is heavier, for example. Are there any adjustment that con be mistakenly affected during timing belt change. Thanks.

Reply to
vmkng

Hi, just figured out the tension may be wrong.

Does anyone know what is the required tention for Corolla 94 and Corolla 05?

What are the simptoms if tention is wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
vmkng

The timing belt will not affect acceleration unless the previous one was installed incorrectly.

If timing belt tension is too loose, the water pump may slip and if it is too tight, the water pump may fail prematurely.

The power steering drive belt was probably removed when the timing belt was replaced. If it was replaced too loosely, you will hear the belt squeal but it shouldn't have much, if any affect on steering effort. Check to make sure the belt was replaced and that the power steering fluid is filled.

Reply to
Ray O

Increase in acceleration could be that it was retarded before --- or now is maybe too advanced. Nothing should have affected power steering unless perhaps power steering belt was not replaced or tightened properly? Dealrer has sales at $199 on doing the belt - with OEM parts and a trained staff --- hard to beat that.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks, I did not know acceleration can be advanced or retarded. The mechanic, I think, said it is all electronic now and cannot be adjusted, meaning - either it work properly, or not at all. Or was he talking about idling speed.

Reply to
vmkng

Acceleration cannot be advanced or retarded. I believe Wolfgang was referring to ignition base timing or cam timing, which can be advanced or retarded. When people refer to advanced or retarded timing, they are usually refering to ignition timing.

Reply to
Ray O