Where's the wagon?

Any chance Toyota bring back the Camry wagon or even an Avalon wagon? Don't need a SUV.

Reply to
Frank

Subaru

Reply to
hachiroku

How would we know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, there are the Matrix and Rav4, both of which are like wagons. And the Scion XB and XD, too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, there's the Matrix; but it's basically a Corolla in wagon clothing, so is smaller than what you seem to be looking for.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Toyota will be releasing the 2009 Venza late in 2008. The Venza will be made in the same plant as the Camry and Avalon so it is probably based on the same platform.

Go to

and in the "vehicles" link, click on the "Upcoming Vehicles" link.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you have any idea if the price will be closer to that of the Camry or to the Avalon? Thanks. (I could probably look up the dimensions of each of the

3 cars, then compare them to roughly determine this, but... too lazy right now!)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

BTW - that day-glo mustard color of the Matrix is *horrendous*, IMO!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

**Hee! :) I have an 05 Impreza wagon and the new "5 door," or whatever they're calling the Impreza wagon now, look more like a Matrix-type vehicle than a traditional wagon.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I don't know, but my guess is that it will be priced somewhere between the Camry and Avalon.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey, Kaboomie!

Yeah, I saw one at the dealer when I was ferreting out parts for my '89 Coupe. Nice looking 'wagon'! I like it!

Reply to
hachiroku

Hmmm...took lomg enough to discover it's available with AWD. Kinda looks like the Lexus RX300 (RS300?) Crossover vehicle.

Hope it's made in Japan...

Reply to
hachiroku

What do you think the 2WD RAV4 is? It is not an SUV by any reasonable stretch of the definition of an SUV. It is a essentially a tall Camry wagon. Marketing types just don't want to call it a station wagon. Both my SO and Sister own late model RAV4s. They are just station wagons. Nothing wrong with that, except calling something a station wagon is death on sales these days. Calling a station wagon an SUV or a Crossover is the current fashion. In highway driving both my SO and my sister are getting in the high 20's (26 top 27 mpg) with their RAV4s.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I guess he's looking for something with the sleeker profile of older wagons. If he's interested, he could offer my kid $15,000.00 for his 96 Camry wagon.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

sleeker...Camry? I suppose a RAV4 is "boxy." But it seems to me anyone wanting a station wagon is looking for something with a certain amount of utility. Therefore a "sleek" station wagon is almost non-sense.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You might want to actually touch and see a 96 Camry wagon before theorizing about what it can do.

JoeSpareBedroom

**While they are not as ubiquitous as the gazillion older versions of Subarus that chug around town, the few that I have seen, I'm beginning to like. I'm thinking of leasing one for the lower payments, but I also like the one that I have *and* it only has 12,400 miles on it. So I've been going in circles in my head (the pros and cons) trying to decide. Ideally, I'd like to sell it on my own and make a little cash, then go and lease another Impreza or possibly a Legacy. But then I think that selling it myself would be a hassle and I know from past experience that my local Subaru dealership will use every sleazy tactic in the book to maximize their income while raping my wallet. And again, I think, man, I really need some lower payments but I still like my 05!! :) Those (and some other reasons) just keep turning themselves over in my head.

I was thinking of test driving some other cars even though I love my car's AWD. It's wonderful especially up in the Berkshires and you know what I mean.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Actually I have driven a '96 Camry Wagon.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

It gives you a longer, flat cargo area as opposed to a short, high one as in small things like the RAV4. The former layout is preferable in terms of visibility.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe you should drive a late model RAV4. The current RAV4 is not so short and has a relatively large flat cargo area behind the second row seats. The lift over height is only a little greater than the old Camry Wagon. The side opening door is better than the Camry Wagon's hatch (at least for tall people). I find the visibility out of the RAV4 much better that the older Camry Wagon. Plus, the four cylinder RAV4 has better EPA mileage estimates than a 1996 Camry (both with 4 cylinders).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White