Will Toyota ever make a station wagon again?

Wife had a Volvo station wagon and after some years she replaced it with a new Camry XLE. The XLE is great but she missed the space and function of the wagon whenever she does some major shopping. She doesn't like the mini vans or SUVs as its too big and not so good on gas. If nothing else is available it seems like she is go back for a new Volvo wagon again. Will Toyota make a Camry or Avalon wagon?

Reply to
# Fred #

They SHOULD. My son has a 96 Camry wagon. Every 2-3 weeks, someone approaches him and asks if he wants to sell it. If it wasn't in mint condition, he probably do it, but where else would he get a replacement for $5,000.00 ?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They do make a Camry wagon. It's called the Highlander.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

She would not go for the Matrix although I don't mine having one. She is too used to power everything including the power heated leather seats, premium stereo, GPS, etc. She love to have the 300hp engine that gets close to 30mpg freeway miles on the Avalon - a serious shopper who needs the speed and comfort to get to Target or Costco.

Reply to
# Fred #

I hope no one gets in her way....sounds like she takes shopping way to seriously.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

We had a Volvo Cross Country (AWD) Wagon which we replaced with a Toyota Highlander AWD V6 Limited because My wife wanted something that would put her a little higher for better visibility. The amenities in the Toyota are as good as the Volvo, the ride is as comfortable, and the mileage is the same. The Volvo did handle a little better but visibility from the Highlander is much better. And yes, the Highlander is a Camry Wagon.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

That is why I continue to drive my cherry '92 Corolla Wagon....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

They do...they just don't import them any more.

Maybe, someday. They were selling the Yaris in other parts of the world 3 years before they started selling it here...

Reply to
Hachiroku

At this point, basic marketing should come into play. Suggest that he ask of any future enquirers whatever sum he would need to replace the current wagon with something that would satisfy him as much. If enquirer is prepared to pay, son is laughing.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Not likely for the 'States, IMO. As you can see, enough people -- in U.S.A. at least -- mistake the presentday Highlander for a station wagon as to make it moot. I have a low-mileage 1990 wagon. 1990 is on that trim, pre-pregnancy, pre-turdmobile platform that runs forever as long as it doesn't get run over.

Reply to
Derald

Yup....

I've got a '92 Corolla wagon that is doing just fine at 204,000.

I see a few Camry wagons running around.

I have NO idea why they don't make a Camry and Corolla Wagon. I might buy one in ten year...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

The kid's a shark. I'll suggest it. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

would love to have that car!

Reply to
me

Maybe in ten years....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I love my 1985 Tercel wagon.

---voice from the past

# Fred # wrote:

Reply to
timagine

Yeah, every few months somebody will ask me if I want to sell one of my two 1981 wagons, which are in good condition but still not mint. I think, "And if I do, where will I get a replacement wagon?"

The matrix is kind of wagon-ish but isn't really one. I also can't get used to the tiny hatch window when I carpool on long trips with matrix owners.

Reply to
Limnos

Toyota still builds station wagons, they just don't call anything they sell in the US a wagon. In the UK, they sell a "5 Door Estate." In the US this would be a station wagon. See

. What is the Matrix if it isn't a station wagon? It might be a poorly designed station wagon, but if you had sold something like that 20 years ago, it would have been called a station wagon.

How about the Highlander, or the RAV4? In 1980, they would have been classed as station wagons. I don't think anyone seriously considers these things SUVs.

For that matter, what is a 4Runner, but a really poorly design station wagon? I suppose you could call it an SUV, but it a poor one of those too.

Car manufacturers don't want to call anything a "Station Wagon," since that has negative connotations these days. And now, they don't want to call vehicles mini-vans either. So now we have crossovers. I wonder how long it will be before that term is as out of favor as "station wagon?" But really, Camry's, RAV4s, Highlanders, and Sienna all share many basic components. Toyota might not admit it, but both the Highlander and RAV4 are just disguised Camry Wagons.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

This I agree with.

They're SUVs, although the RAV4 is a small one. They sit up much higher than a station wagon & are bulkier.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Why don't we call them "estate cars" or something exotic like that? Don't they call them shooting brakes at one time? Doesn't Delaware still license them as P/C (Pleasure Commercial)?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Then they are two of the worst SUVs ever built. No ground clearance, minimal towing ability, minimal off road ability (and then only if you get the AWD version instead of the front wheel drive version). And when did "bulk" prevent something from being called a station wagon. Have you ever seen a Buick Roadmaster Wagon?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White