Will Toyota ever make a station wagon again?

Wife had a Volvo station wagon and after some years she replaced it with a new Camry XLE. The XLE is great but she missed the space and function of the
wagon whenever she does some major shopping. She doesn't like the mini vans or SUVs as its too big and not so good on gas. If nothing else is available it seems like she is go back for a new Volvo wagon again. Will Toyota make a Camry or Avalon wagon?

They SHOULD. My son has a 96 Camry wagon. Every 2-3 weeks, someone approaches him and asks if he wants to sell it. If it wasn't in mint condition, he probably do it, but where else would he get a replacement for $5,000.00 ?
     snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com "JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

At this point, basic marketing should come into play. Suggest that he ask of any future enquirers whatever sum he would need to replace the current wagon with something that would satisfy him as much. If enquirer is prepared to pay, son is laughing.
--
Andrew Stephenson

"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

The kid's a shark. I'll suggest it. :-)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yeah, every few months somebody will ask me if I want to sell one of my two 1981 wagons, which are in good condition but still not mint. I think, "And if I do, where will I get a replacement wagon?"
The matrix is kind of wagon-ish but isn't really one. I also can't get used to the tiny hatch window when I carpool on long trips with matrix owners.
"Limnos" <...

My husband's xA looks quite similar to the Matrix, but of course lacks the testicular fortitude of that car.
I really don't need a wagon now (my kids are no longer small), so I'm not in the market for one, but when they were little, the wagons were gone, except the Camry, which I couldn't afford at the time.
Natalie
# Fred # wrote:

They do make a Camry wagon. It's called the Highlander.
We had a Volvo Cross Country (AWD) Wagon which we replaced with a Toyota Highlander AWD V6 Limited because My wife wanted something that would put her a little higher for better visibility. The amenities in the Toyota are as good as the Volvo, the ride is as comfortable, and the mileage is the same. The Volvo did handle a little better but visibility from the Highlander is much better. And yes, the Highlander is a Camry Wagon.
Jack G.

She would not go for the Matrix although I don't mine having one. She is too used to power everything including the power heated leather seats, premium stereo, GPS, etc. She love to have the 300hp engine that gets close to 30mpg freeway miles on the Avalon - a serious shopper who needs the speed and comfort to get to Target or Costco.

I hope no one gets in her way....sounds like she takes shopping way to seriously.

That is why I continue to drive my cherry '92 Corolla Wagon....
--

Scott in Florida

would love to have that car!
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:23:30 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Maybe in ten years....LOL
--

Scott in Florida

Toyota still builds station wagons, they just don't call anything they sell in the US a wagon. In the UK, they sell a "5 Door Estate." In the US this would be a station wagon. See http://www.toyota.co.uk/vs2/pdf/CO6_69_over.pdf .
What is the Matrix if it isn't a station wagon? It might be a poorly designed station wagon, but if you had sold something like that 20 years ago, it would have been called a station wagon.
How about the Highlander, or the RAV4? In 1980, they would have been classed as station wagons. I don't think anyone seriously considers these things SUVs.
For that matter, what is a 4Runner, but a really poorly design station wagon? I suppose you could call it an SUV, but it a poor one of those too.
Car manufacturers don't want to call anything a "Station Wagon," since that has negative connotations these days. And now, they don't want to call vehicles mini-vans either. So now we have crossovers. I wonder how long it will be before that term is as out of favor as "station wagon?" But really, Camry's, RAV4s, Highlanders, and Sienna all share many basic components. Toyota might not admit it, but both the Highlander and RAV4 are just disguised Camry Wagons.
Ed

Before I was six we used to have a Plymouth Belvedere station wagon in that wierd 1955 blue green.
Charles of Schaumburg

So what makes something an SUV as opposed to a station wagon? An SUV should have decent towing capacity, RAV4s and Highlanders have a 35000 lb max (when properly equipped). "Real" SUVs should be able to tow much more than this. An SUV should have decent off-road ability. Who in there right mind would drive a RAV4 or a Highlander on anything more difficult that beach sand? Jacking up a station wagon and calling it an SUV might make marketing sense, but it hardly makes it an SUV. And a Matrix is not particularly high. Nor is a RAV4. Highlanders are taller, but why? They still have the ground clearance of a Camry. No ground clearance, minimal towing ability, minimal off road ability does not make a station wagon an SUV no matter how high they raise the roof. It is not just Toyota that is labeling station wagons as SUVs or Crossovers - what is a Chrysler Pacifica or a Ford Freestyle if they aren't really Station Wagons? What is a Dodge Magnum if not a poorly designed station wagon?
BTW - when I was young my family owned nothing but station wagons.
Ed

Advertising.
IMHO A decent station wagon should either be RWD or AWD. Too much weight in the cargo area, is not a good scenario. Minivans, SUVs, Crossover UVs, are weight distributed. FWDs with heavy cargo will have too much wheel spin and torque will be lost.

I think you are mistaken.
My '92 Corolla FWD wagon puts cargo over the real wheels and the engine/transmission weight over the driving wheels.
Works great!

message
--

Scott in Florida