05 Camry: what oil to use?

snip

Mine does. 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager. 3.3 V6 engine. Went from 25MPG in Canada to 27 MPG after switching to Amsoil synthetic. Consumption stayed the same when I started using Mobil 1. Now, in a brand new engine, you may right. There shouldn't be that great a difference between the 2.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

After reading other post concerning what oil I put Mobil one oil in and am getting about 2-3 more mles to the gal after doing it. Using Mobil one filter I plan to go 10,000 miles....

Called Mobil one and asked when I could change to it and they said right after the break in oil change.

ROBERT F. THOMAS

ROBERT THOMAS

Note: the scheduled oil and filer change interval on the '05 is 5000 miles. The manual does not have any exceptions for synthetic oils, so changing at

10000 is at your own risk in case there are warranty issues later.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

"" wrote: > snip > > > My personal experiences confirm that syntheitc oils do not > necessarily > > improve fuel econmy. > > Mine does. 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager. 3.3 V6 engine. Went > from 25MPG in > Canada to 27 MPG after switching to Amsoil synthetic. > Consumption stayed the > same when I started using Mobil 1. > Now, in a brand new engine, you may right. There shouldn't be > that great a > difference between the 2.

Mercedes not only recommends synthetics, but now requires them. Why? Mostly, to guarantee no sludge.

Reply to
tbober

tbober wrote: snip

Local Mercedes dealer said they require synthetics from 1998 and up due to what they call extended service interval, up to 15k miles. Conventional oils won't do this without the chance of sludge but Mercedes was not having a problem with sludge. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

"" wrote: > tbober wrote: > snip > > Mercedes not only recommends synthetics, but now requires > them. Why? > > Mostly, to guarantee no sludge. > > Local Mercedes dealer said they require synthetics from 1998 > and up due to > what they call extended service interval, up to 15k miles. > Conventional oils > won't do this without the chance of sludge but Mercedes was > not having a > problem with sludge. > HTH, davidj92

Actually, a recent class action lawsuit brought forward by owners of certain 1998 through 2001 Mercedes-Benz vehicles claimed they weren?t informed that synthetic motor oil was required in order to take advantage of the extended drain intervals afforded through the use of the vehicles? Flexible Service System (FSS). Many using conventional oils experienced pre­mature wear problems, and the settlement cost the company over $32 million.

After the settlement, Mercedes-Benz issued a statement denying wrongdoing and maintaining that conventional API SH and SJ motor oils should withstand the intervals recommended by the FSS without sludging or related engine damage.

It?s well documented that European vehicles are designed to use higher quality European lubricants, often posing problems for American owners. As a result, problems such as premature wear and engine sludge develop.

Reply to
tbober

Are the European conventional lubes better than Americans? If so, will they facilitate the FSS?

Reply to
davidj92

I believe the answer is yes. I have a Saturn Vue with a GM "Ecotech" 4 cylinder engines (versions are used in GM products around the world). The car has an oil change interval computer. It is my understanding that the maximum oil change interval it will support is 7500 miles (when using oil of the proper US grade). European versions of this engine are used in cars where the same sort of oil change interval computer has a maximum oil change interval of 15,000 miles. GM had on-line information that indicated that this longer interval required the use of a certain grade European lubricants and that if lower quality (i.e., US) grades were used, the oil change computer could not be used. For US GM cars that come with Mobil 1, the oil change computer also is set-up to allow longer oil change intervals.

The following quote describes the oils required by Saab so that the oil life monitor can be used:

"9-3 Sport Sedan Service Intervals/Requirements: Requires Full Synthetic oil which meets GM-LL-A-025 specification

The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan enters a new level of maintenance intervals and requirements. Service intervals fall under main categories: Intermediate and Main Service interval. A message on SID indicates to the owner when either service is required.

MAIN SERVICE interval is based entirely on mileage driven: 30,000; 60,000 and 90,000 miles.

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years.

NOTE: The actual oil condition is NOT measured, only the above calculations performed.

It is important to note that this computation is based on the use of fully-synthetic oil which meets GM-LL-A-025 specification. This is a specification that is currently not commonly found in the US. The only oils that are readily available that meet this specification are Mobile 0W40 SuperSyn and Saab 0W30 Turbo Long-Life Fully Synthetic oil.

Saab Fully Synthetic Turbo oil is available under the following part numbers:

12 799 131 = 4 liter container 12 799 130 = 1 liter container

If an oil of lesser quality is used, the algorithm will be incorrect and severe engine problems may occur."

Here are some oils that meet the tougher European requirements:

( I know Amsoil, but it listsa lot of specs for long life oil)
Here is a description (cut from
of what the ACEAgrades mean -

"ACEA 2004 EUROPEAN OIL SEQUENCES FOR SERVICE-FILL OILS

A/B : gasoline and diesel engine oils

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils , and/or for sever operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

C. E. White wrote: snip

Ed, Thanks for the info, I was trying to find if it was economicly advantageous to switch to a European dino oil. Since it's not readily available but the Mobil 1 is and it's readily available plus meets the European requirements I guess that's it. When I switched my 2001 Tundra's differential to sythetic there was some information about Mobile 1 having an esther based cleaner which was not compatible with the axle seals and leaks resulted. (I think there was a change on the seals in later years that made them compatible with Mobil 1.) Because of this I switched to Royal Purple as they were the only other brand that has synthetic gear lube and trans fluid but aren't quite as available as Mobil 1. If there are no compatibilty issues with Mobil I would switch to them. So now my question, do you know if there are any compatibility issues with Mobile 1 synthetic? Do they still use an esther based cleaner in their synthetics? TIA, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92