1990 2.5L V6 temp sender question

Where is the temperature sender for the dashboard gauge?
Here is the problem tho. I bought the car used. I changed the radiator and water pump. Put in a thermostat since there wasn't one in it.
Flushed the cooling system.
Now before I did all that the temp gauge would go right up to half way and stay there even when it overheated. After changing everything out, the same thing. The temp gauge goes to half way and stays there EVEN if it is about to over heat. Found that out the hard way when the fan switch quit and the car started steaming.
So I picked up a new temp sender unit but now I can't find where it is in the engine. I can find the 2 ECTs no problem. BUT even Chilton's doesn't say where the sender is located.
Is this part that hard to find? NOBODY knows where the temp sender is? Did Toyota tell hide it away and lock the location in a vault?
I have the factory manual for the 1993 Camry and it shows the water temperature sender a little to the left of the No 1 injector. Take a look in that area maybe it is similar in the 1990 model. The sensor for the cooling fan is at the bottom of the radiator. Hope this helps. Alex