1992 Camry ; Starter Wont Stop...Help please.

I got a 1992 Camry LE 4Cyl. I went to drive it yesterday and went out lastnite and turned the key and the car kept on cranking. I had to pull a
battery cable off to stop it. Anyone ever have this problem before? THe car has very high miles on it. I have kept the car very well maintained. Thanks -Charlie
Look in this website for help with your starter http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml Hope it helps. It helped me.
Alex

When this happens it is most likely the solenoid sticking in the starter itself. The solenoid has 2 jobs: it whacks a couple of heavy contacts to-gether to pass the massive starter current required from the battery and to push the drive pinion-gear into mesh with the engine ring-gear for cranking.
After long service, debris and gunk collect around the solenoid plunger (armature) and can cause sticking or the 2 contacts have welded to-gether. In either case, you need an exchange repacement unit.
It is laso possible, the low-current switching circuit has applied a constant 'start' voltage (signal) to the starter. To test for this, remove the thinner wire from the starter-motor's body,..then put your battery clamp back. If it is OK,..plug the small wire back in its connector. If the starter starts cranking, there is a fault in the ciruit between the ignition-key switch and the small wire we speak of. If it doesn't crank, the fault has cleared,..in which case you need to have a stab in the dark by checking the starter condition first.
Jason
I had this problem with my 99 Camry a couple of years ago. The dealer said that the starter had a shorted winding.
Howard

THe
maintained.
and
clamp
the
Well I whacked the starter about 5 timed with wood and a hammer. I went to start, and it started without a problem. I should proboably get a few more starts out of it. I really don't feel like putting any in this car because it has 285,000 miles on it. Thanks