1992 V6 XLE: What to Look for

My Sister just bought one with 150k miles on it. Supposedly it has a new transmission and front axles (I've read about axles breaking - did they design them for the four only???). What should I look for in the way of problem areas, and how do I easily check for sludging? Would it be too risky to switch the engine to synthetic blend at this point? All helpful input appreciated.

Reply to
Leftie

Was synthetic recommended in the original configuration? (Probably NO) Stay with a high quality oil that has been used in it up to now. Dont try to put synthetic into an engine this old and expect miracles.

Change the oil within the change recommendation. Now, if this one were specked at 7500, take a wake up pill. Change at 4-5000 miles. The high change intervals were a cockup.

I'm not aware of axle weakness.. Maybe just my lack of knowledge. All FWD cars will eventually have to have axle service. Do it before the joints break. They will often warn you by giving a clacking noise as you turn right or left.

Cooling systems do not last forever. Change the coolant (antifreeze plus water) every few years.. 3-5 years, maybe. Flush the radiator and block and replace with a good quality antifreeze mixed into distilled water.

Keep an eye on your belt drives, valve drive belts, hoses. Have them changed before they give up and embarass you.

Rebuilt transmission means what??? Some wont make it a year...others might be equal to new.

Reply to
hls

I'm familiar with general maintainence procedures. I was wondering about this specific model - any issues it has. I wouldn't switch to full synthetic at this point, but I was wondering about a weaker synthetic blend. I haven't seen the receipts yet, but I'm hoping the trans is either new, used or factory reman.

Reply to
Leftie

Just my $0.02, but I think it is foolish to switch to even a partial synthetic blend in a car like this.

Reply to
hls

Could be. The other options are something like Castrol GTX, or a high mileage" oil, which would have a little synthetic in it but probably not a lot.

Reply to
Leftie

I dont believe that Castrol GTX or the high mileage oils have any synthetic oil in them. They have special polymers that help prevent oil leakage and they keep their viscosity reasonably well.

I dont know that this particular Toyota has any real problems. If your sister is buying it, it may not have been well maintained before, and the tranny -and I think you misunderstood me here - may be a weak point... not because it is Toyota but because the car has some mileage on it, and not all rebuilt or remanufactured trannies are worth a damn. And if it is original, then prognosis is even less bright.

Reply to
hls

I know that GTX has no synthetic. I think the high mileage oil may have a little, but I'm not sure.

I understood your point. Mine is that factory remans or used transmissions from lower mileage vehicles are generally a better bet than third party remans.

Reply to
Leftie