98 Camry Tran. Hesitating

We have a 1998 Camry with 40K miles, automatic transmission. Twice in the last 3 months it has started hesitating at stop lights. When doing this it will not creep forward if you take your foot off of the brake, nor will it "go" until the RPM exceeds 2000. In fact, you can sit there and push the gas pedal enough to increase the RPM from about 750 to 1800 and it won't move; you can do this over and over as if you were revving up a stick with the clutch pushed in. Once you exceed 2000 RPM it will lurch off, but it shifts up a little roughly. Before and after this happened it ran like a top and a transmission guy said he could find nothing wrong. The first time it happened, we took it to a guy who flushed out all of the transmission fluid and replaced the filter. This "fixed" the problem - until it happened about 3 months later. Any ideas? Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed

Not good for your transmission to start off at 2000 rpm. You may be causing more damage.

Transmission guy? Take it to a Toyota Dealer. Look for a dealer in your area that offers a special on transmission service (fluid change). When you take it in, tell them about your symptoms. Don't mention about the non-Toyota service. You can sometimes find service specials on their internet sites. Transmissions are very complex mechanical and electronic machines these days. Sometimes they need the electronics adjusted or re-programmed, something that a non-Toyota service shop probably can't do.

Reply to
Mark A

Mark A, About your two Reponses: Yes, it can be damaging to start off at a higher rpm; the two times this has happened I've managed to finesse the gas applied to minimize the lurch off the line We did take it to a Toyota dealership; the experienced clerk there looked at me like I had three eyes, and recommended we turn it over to them for diagnostic tests with a good chance they would not find anything (and cost us around $100). The other idea was wait until it happened again and bring it in. If the problem is an intermittent electronic error, will a normal Toyota transmission check find it (i.e., is there an electronic error record stored for later perusal), or should we wait for it to happen again. Thanks, Ed