1989 4x4 wont start, then starts

my 1989 1/2 ton, would not start after leaving the bank yesterday. It turned over but wouldnt fire. I put a shot of gas in the throotle body and it fired up and ran for about three seconds. so then I pulled the fuel line off at the carb turned it over and as i expected no gas. 2 hours later I towed it home and out of curiousity I tried to start it and it fired right up. Any ideas out there? bobb

Reply to
fatboy92

fuel filter under the CAB

fatboy92 wrote:

Reply to
somebody

Listen for the whine of the pump in the fuel tank to make sure it's working..

Just turn the key to the "On" position, but not to "Start"..(this usually takes two people, or one very long stretchable person)

Reply to
ken

OOPS..That's assuming you have an in-the-tank pump...K

Reply to
ken

(AKA the TBI)

(Thought it's a 1989 TBI)

Turn the key on off on off on off on then try to start. If it starts it's a clogged filter. If still no start hit the bottom of the tank with a block of wood hard a few times then try to start. If it does it's a bad pump. With key on the grey wire on the tank harness located on crossmember near the tank should have power if it doesn't it's the relay on the firewall.

SnL

Reply to
Sunshine&Lollipops
89 came with fuel pump in tank (87 was first year for this) and it sounds like he has a bad fuel pump as they are known to fail a lot in older vehicles. If you run them low on fuel a lot you shorten their life further because the fuel cools and lube pump as well as powers the vehicle.

Reply to
SnoMan