1996 Shift Lock Override

Greetings,
I am considering the purchase of a 1996 Toyota Camry LE for my teenage son. I picked the car up from the dealership yesterday and am going to
let my mechanic look at it on Monday, Oct 16, 2005. The vehicle seems to be in great overall shape even though it has 112,000 miles on it. And it ran fine bringing it over the mountain to my home here in Virginia.
However, I noticed as I was going over the vehicle that the cover to the shift lock override button had been removed and I'm guessing that someone used a screwdriver to depress the button underneath. I've read some on the internet as to why this button may need to be depressed, such as a solenoid going bad. I learned what this button was for in the owner's manual. Should I be alarmed that this button was depressed?
The shifter is working like it's supposed to now....won't shift without depressing the brake pedal. I'm just wandering what other reasons would the shift lock override button need to be depressed?
Please email me as I'm new to this newsgroup. My email address is: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com I'm not 100% sure how to get back to this newsgroup, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. But if you can offer some insight, please email me back.
Thanks for your time!
Robert in Virginia
I wouldn't worry about it. I use that button on cars several times every week to push a car or two out of the way when a key is not available. One of the most common reasons for a customer to use the button is when the brake pedal switch goes bad. It doesn't really have anything to do with the transmission itself.
1) Possible Needd to move the car once or more with dead battery?
2) As the other poster said, Maybe to move the vehicle without a key. ( of course this doesn't unlock the steering wheel, so only forward or back. Unless the wheel is locked to one direction or the other ).
3) Bad solenoid at the brake switch.
4) Playing pranks on people that owned the car by moving it so they are confused.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.