1997 toyota camry trans. problem

have 97 camry, 4 cyl, auto, 97000 miles, no problems except today. started fine, ran fine, went to down shift into lo to handle snow, shifter went dead, will not shift at all, stopped engine, played with shifter, shifts free will not engage any gear, I think it is in park now, will not go out of park, will not move, engine fine, indicater light fine, just will not engage and travel.

Reply to
richannc

Hey, that sucks.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

When was your last tranny fluid change, if ever?

started fine, ran fine, went to down shift into lo to handle snow, shifter went dead, will not shift at all, stopped engine, played with shifter, shifts free will not engage any gear, I think it is in park now, will not go out of park, will not move, engine fine, indicater light fine, just will not engage and travel.

Reply to
Dave

If you have a habit of playing with an auto trans like that,

  1. your tranny gave out
  2. your linkage got disconnected

started fine, ran fine, went to down shift into lo to handle snow, shifter went dead, will not shift at all, stopped engine, played with shifter, shifts free will not engage any gear, I think it is in park now, will not go out of park, will not move, engine fine, indicater light fine, just will not engage and travel.

Reply to
Dave

It sounds like maybe you broke your shifter cable? I would think it's unusual to lose all gears like that suddenly unless it's the cable or the TCM is dead? Get a buddy to sit in the car and play with the shifter while you look under the hood at the sides of the transmission to see if you can see the shift linkage moving.

davemac

Reply to
davemac