Check Engine & Traction Off at the same time?

Hi,

Was driving my '99 XLE V6 last night when the Check Engine & Traction Off Indicators both came on one after the other. It was very cold,

-20°F. When I got home, I opened and reclosed the gas cap (which was tight). After the next trip these lights went out. I've heard of the gas cap thing causing the Check Engine light to come on in other cars, but why would the Traction Off light come on? The gas tank was filled almost a week ago, was still 3/4 and gave no Check Engine indication previously.

Just curious, and scared -- just bought it used a month ago.

Thanks!

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

I heard that it's on the same circuit so both will always go off. My camry did the same thing

Reply to
Dave

Norm, its because with traction control, the 2 communicate, its just letting you know a problem with one can disable the other. Its basically letting you know "hey, you don't have traction control right now, so drive responsibly" ;-)

Reply to
MDT Tech®

99xle same as fr guido's car and same symptom the other day and it went away however while the two lights were on there was no traction control. Have had the check enginge come on without the trac control lite as well and of course trac control worked. What I cant figure and maybe MDT Tech can tell us is why these lites even ocme on when its obvious there is nothing wrong as they dont come on the next day or after disengaging and reingaging battery or fuse?

The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

basically

Hmmm, wouldn't the ABS be affected too then, I mean ABS uses the same components as the traction control, no?

Anyway, opening/closing the gas cap got rid of both lights after one more on/off cycle.

Reply to
Father Guido

Ah, the engine can care less about the ABS, in the traction control system, it has a system that shuts down the throttle etc, in other words, "they communicate and work in conjunction" with each other. As for ABS, the engine does care, these systems would be independent. Now if it was a speed sensor failure, you would probably get all 3, ABS, TRAC and engine light.

Aha!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thanks for the explanation!