1999 5SFE: does starter come with solenoid?

I'm having an intermittent problem with my 1999 4 cyl where I sometimes have to turn the key 3 or 4 times before the starter engages. I think this is the solenoid contacts. There is someone selling contact kits on ebay, but the shipping is going to take too long so I'm looking to order a new part from RockAuto who can usually deliver in 3 days.

RockAuto sells both starters and solenoids. If I buy a reman Denso, does that typically come with the solenoid? I don't want to order the wrong part.

Reply to
Nobody Important

You can order the kits from your local Toyota dealer, they look like the following:

Probably for 2x the $20 quoted in the article. There are different part numbers for different starters (1.2, 1.4, 1.8KW etc etc) so make sure you get the right ones. There is a Left kit and Right kit.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks very much for this useful information. I had actually called the Toyota dealer inquiring about doing this work for me. They told me they would not change the contacts but simply replace the whole starter for $550 after charging a diagnostic fee, so I ruled them out.

I ended up call> You can order the kits from your local Toyota dealer, they look like > the following:

Reply to
oconnorm

Usually they do. That being said, they don't always. You can pull the contacts, clean, and reassemble. that should hold you until the contacts arrive.

Reply to
NickySantoro