2004 2.0 litre Camry question

Can anyone advise me please? I live in Asia. At present I'm driving a

1995 Camry 4 cylinder 2.2 litre, Australian built. It is a very good car, it now has 195k on the clock. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2004 Camry with a 2.0 litre engine Does anyone have any experience with this engine? am I likely to find it underpowered?

Sandy

Reply to
sandycruden

Are you sure it's a 2.0 litre? My US 4 cyl 06 Camry is a 2.4 litre. The 2.4 has plenty of pep for me. A 2.0 might be under powered.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

It depends where you are living but the 2 litre will be somewhat inadequate. It was fine in the first generation of Camry but they keep adding weight. If you are on unimprovd roads and don't need acceleration, it might work. I am aware it is standrd in many SE Asian nations.

Reply to
Gary

Roadrunner NG =E0=A2=D5=C2=B9:

Yes Roadrunner, they sell a 2 litre Camry here in Bangkok.

Sandy

Reply to
sandycruden

Thanks Gary,

I live in Thailand and the roads are mostly good to very good

A test drive in the city proved inconclusive. It felt ok but the fact that the engine is smaller in capacity than my existing Camry has me wondering.

Sandy Bangkok

Reply to
sandycruden

============================= Have you considered restoring the 1995 Camry? That is one of the best years they made. Many people have said their 1995 or 1996 Camry was the best car they ever owned, but I haven't seen as many of those comments about the 2004. Some but not all, seem very pleased with the 2007 though. For the price of a new car, you could have upholstery and seat cushions replaced, suspension components replaced with new and so forth. With proper care the engines and transmissions in those cars can last a long, long time. The newer Camry, should have variable valve timing which your model does not so I would guess even with the smaller engine, power delivery should be about the same. You should be able to find specifications online that list horsepower and torque numbers for the newer engine.

Reply to
Daniel

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Hi Daniel I have seen your posts here often and I admire your willingness to share your knowledge on the subject of Camry's

Yes I have seriously thought about a major overhaul. The 1995 Camry is indeed a great motor car and of course here in Bangkok labour costs even at authorised Toyota service departments are a fraction of what we pay in Australia or the States, although genuine parts are pricey.

I would have to overhaul the brakes, suspension ,new shocks, bushes etc etc and a new paint job is needed as well The engine and transmission are as good as new apart from quite a bad shudder when idling at traffic lights etc when the A/C compressor cuts in.

I could overhaul the car for far less than the cost of replacing it, as the cost of new cars here is astronomical and this makes used cars are also expensive particularly Toyotas. It makes a lot of sense to do as you say as I am very fond of the car. I'll make up my mind in the next few days.

Regards=20 Sandy

Reply to
sandycruden