87 Camry- Starts and Stalls when given gas

The car has about 190K miles. I took it out for about a 60Mile trip and it drove as well as it always did. Next morning, it just would not start. When you turn the key, the engine rolls over. Sometimes it begins to run and then slowly dies out. But as soon as I give is gas it cut out immediately. If I floor the gas pedal and crank it, it backfires from intake side. (I removed the intake so I could spray some throttle body cleaner). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Godwin

Reply to
ElantraGT

Well it could be your coil. Check for spark by pulling a spark plug wire and have someone crank car (in park) while you hold a phillips screwdriver (metal end stuck into end of wire) about 1/2 inch from metal part of engine. Pull screwdriver to about 3/4 inch from metal it should jump at least this far and have a regular not erratic spark. You could also have a jumped timing belt. For this line up timing mark to Top Dead Center on crankshaft and take off plastic top timing gear cover and see if marks properly aligned. If it is a fuel problem usually spraying carb cleaner into engine will make it run better. Well hope this helps.

Reply to
Edmechanic