87 240dl intermittent starts

LH2.2 jetronic system, manual 5 speed, non turbo. I have about had it with this car. Seems at times it doesn't want to start. When it does this, the fuel pump relay doesn't "click", therefore pumps don't activate. Let it sit for awhile, perhaps it'll start, perhaps it won't. One mechanic told me it was the flexible air intake pipe - between air mass meter and air intake manifold- had holes in it from wear. He replaced it, but didn't change anything. Another mechanic said it was the crank sensor. Nothing has been done with that item....yet. Last time we went through this, I drove the car across town, parked, restarted, drove it back home. It started fine, ran well. I parked it at home, went back out to go somewhere else, it wouldn't start. Tried again, it rumbled to an idle, sounding a bit like it was doing some minor backfiring through the air intake as I goosed the gas pedal bit but nevertheless, went to idle, and ran fine. Turned it off, then tried to start again, wouldn't start. It turned over, but wouldn't fire. This morning it started and ran perfectly. Every time, when it does start, it runs great. Is it just in need of a tune up? Or is it the crank sensor after all? Any ideas? TIA--Tyler

Reply to
Tyler

Perhaps a silly question, but have you checked the fuel pump relay and the fuse box?

Reply to
James Sweet

Like a hundred times - they're fine.

Reply to
Tyler

How's the engine wiring harness? If it's original it's likely in pretty bad shape.

Reply to
James Sweet

My Mech. recently told me after telling him the same symtoms, it was my starting module and a new harness to the ignition switch. It seems it has just worn the contacts where it plugs in. Temporary fix for now but I'm looking a about a $1000. fix. I think its better than walking home at some inopportune time.

Reply to
Rojo2G

How about just splicing in a new plug if it's just worn contacts?

Reply to
James Sweet

Not sure, never got that far. Sure worth exploring, though. Thanks!

Reply to
Tyler

Oh man....if that's the case, is it worth the hassle? I've had the car for almost 2 years, have about $950 in it so far, including purchase price. Oh wow. The probable cause you've described sounds most promising as the fix for this possessed vehicle. Hoping it might be just the ignition switch, though. Thanks for the information.-Tyler

Reply to
Tyler

Got the car back the other day. Five days now, starts runs great. Mechanic found no fuse in #4 slot, put one in, but observed car would start run with or without it. He was checking in-tank pump while car was running, disconnected it, pump/car still ran (?). He checked engine harness/wiring, said all looked good. He replaced the pump relay again. The pump running while hot wire disconnected spooked him a bit, but he couldn't find anything else wrong. He said he couldn't find any weird wiring, either. It is possessed, no doubt. We'll see how it goes from here on. Thought an update might help someone. Thanks for all your inputs. Tyler

Reply to
Tyler

I can't believe the intank pump was still running with the wires disconnected, but it's only necessary in conditions where the fuel gets warm - this is primarily on hot days with a low fuel level. The car runs fine otherwise without the intank pump working. (Unless you have the common split hose above the intank pump in which case you need more than a half tank of fuel.)

Good luck with the rest of the problem.

Reply to
Mike F