HELP! 89 dodge problem.

i have an 89 dodge caravan with the 2.5 4cylinder and the three speed auto trans. heres my problem, when i'm driving there's a grinding\scraping sound coming from the front on acceleration and when holding a steady speed. it doesn't stop or change when i turn the wheel or ride my brakes, and it sounds like its coming from the trans. when i'm driving 35mph i can feel it scraping through the steering wheel and if i let up off the gas it stops. does anybody know what it is? please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
herman

Why not check on the famous Chrysler Caravan/Voyager site? Be aware that no minivan has a transmission problem according to them. Those trannys are bullet proof. You must be dragging a brick some neighbor kid tied to the underside.

Honestly, you don't say the mileage, but you probably will need a transmission this afternoon or tonight at the latest.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

You have three engine/trans mounts. Check them especially the one over the trans.

Reply to
pete selby

That's the old 3 speed auto tranny, pretty reliable. It was the later four speeds with electronic control that were the real lemons.

Reply to
MadCow

True enough, but it's 15 years old and a million miles until we hear otherwise. His symptoms sound catostrophic. He's going to park it, sell it or junk it.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

it has 112000 miles on it. i hope its not real bad, but if it is i have a friend that has a good spare he'll sell me. i just want to find out what it is cuz it's driving me crazy!!! i'm going to change the motor mounts and see if that helps, it could be there worn and transmitting engine vibration/road noise when i'm on the gas.

Reply to
herman