91 Camry Momentary Power Loss

I recently bought a 91 camry le, auto, 4 cyl, 156K miles. I was driving it the other day on the highway and lost power for several seconds. It was just like someone turned the key off and then back on. It did this 3 times during the 50 mile drive. Each time it came back to life it was like nothing ever happened. Any ideas???

Reply to
Mik

Hi Mik,

Check all the usual suspects: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, transmission fluid, exhaust system. Not a complete list, but a solid starting point to your diagnosis. While you're in there, check accessory drive belts and hoses for good measure.

Good luck. Bob J.

1991 Camry LE, Auto, 4 cylinder 2000cc, 143,000 miles.
Reply to
Bob J.

Mik

Bad(intermittent) Ignition switch is a prime suspect. JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

- or ignition coil - fairly common

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

thanks...is the ingnition switch on the steering column? Is there an easy way to check it out? Is there an easy way to checkout the coil? Is that something that would be momentary?

Reply to
Mik

Intermittent conditions are tough to troubleshoot because they are difficult to replicate under test conditions. The factory manual recommends using a heat gun for conditions manifesting when warm, tapping on the component for vibration related issues, and moving the wiring harness for intermittent shorts. Best bet may be just to seek an inexpensive junkyard replacement coil and check all the electrical contacts for clean tight connections then check for improvement while driving. Does seem clear that the type of intermittent clear and complete cut out and recovery is indicative of an electrical problem. Could also be the coil high tension lead or distributor button, but I'd check the coil first, and also examine all related components while there.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

thanks...I agree with your assessment of an electrical problem. I'll try the tapping and wiggling. What is the distributor button? Don't know if I've ever heard of one.

Reply to
Mik