93 camry just dies

93 Camry, 4cyl., Auto. will run all day at idle or high revs in my driveway. When you put it in gear and give it gas it will run 1 mile and die. It starts back up and will run well enough to get home. It appears to be running hot but is not indicated on the insturment panel. Have changed injectors, fuel filters and pump(does this with 40# of fuel pressure, guage taped to windshield) Have changed or checked everything that I thought might be causing this. Any ideas??? Thanks Scott.
Reply to
stroder

Does it get spark when it dies, maybe electrical the coil.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do you experience the stalling when the vehicle is coming to a stop?

Reply to
qslim

I have the same car exactly and I am experincing the same problem.Most of the time it stalls when you move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal. I had the tune up done, also changed the fuel filter but it still keeps stalling like that. I took it to the auto shop and they could not find out and solve the problem. Any ideas? Thanks Rachel

Reply to
Rachel123

If dash temp gauge says its not hot, its probably OK. We dont get to appreciate how hot an engine is unless we pop the bonnet at a breakdown,..lots of ouchies.

If fuel pressure says "all OK" plus filter etc been changed,..time to do an ignition check. This wont be easy 'cause it starts up again after it snuffs,..so,..and I know this sounds a bit off-beat,..somehow attach an ignition timing gun (strobe) in the normal way (use an inductive pick-up type,..less bities that way) and run it into the cabin. Using a zip-clip or tape, hold the trigger on. This means when it does its engine shutdown thing, you may see the strobelight stop at the same time indicating *no spark*. From there its the usual culprits: coil or dizzy-cap or low-voltage (12v switching) intermittant wiring. More likely spark side as once the engine is loaded, the reluctance across the plug increases and the spark takes the easiest route to ground, via a crack in the coil insulation or dizzy-cap.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Since all I drive it right now is around the block, yes it dies when slowing down. The engine check light doesn't come on till I put the car in Drive and give it some gas. It will drive normally for about 1 mile before it dies then you have to keep it running to get back home.

Reply to
stroder

=========================== If you have the ignition coil inside the distributor (non-California version) check there first. Intermittent problems as you describe are usually electrical in origin and that coil seems to be a common problem. According to the factory service manual, you check for specified resistance while tapping and heating with a heat gun (hair dryer should suffice also) to simulate road vibration and heat. Actually that advice was in the general information section for electrical components. I'd check the coil first. There are specifications for resistance. If you don't have the factory manual, Haynes has them. Also this site has more information under "ignition system":

Daniel