Stored '93 Camry

I have a '93 camry that I run about once a month in place and recently it's acted a bit hesitant to start. Well yesterday it just wouldn't start, but I isolated the problem to fuel delivery by pinching a bit of fuel into the throttle body and it ran beautifully for a few moments, so the ignition is just fine. Alright, I know that it could be a number of things, from EFI relays to fuel filtration to the fuel pump itself, but some genius out there is likely to know the more likely culprit, so I'm asking you... what do you most suspect here?

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

Do you hear the Fuel Pump prime when you turn the key?

Reply to
Josh

LOL, Toyotas "fuel pumps" dont prime when you cycle the key on!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Well, you've been starting it once a month. I didn't have that luxury when I stored my Corolla, and the fuel pump 'dried out' (Toyota Service Manager's description)

Or, if you're lickier than I, when was the last time you added nice, fresh gas to the tank?

Reply to
hachiroku

I hear what resembles a couple of "clicks" or muted drum taps from the next room, but no electric motor sound.

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

Liberal Fuel Pumps need priming :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

You may have to get it into a shop where they can check fuel pressure at various points - like the fuel pump and the fuel filter. You could check for voltage at the fuel pump. Once you get it running, drive the car, even if it is around the block! You might have flat spots in the tires now and the brake shoes might be rusted in place. The transmission fluid and brake fluids should be checked. Have you run the AC as well, the seals benefit from the unit being run. Like the other poster said, how old the is the gas in the tank? Gasoline does not have an unlimited shelf life.

Reply to
ma_twain

I've consulted a few Toyota Techs on this and the general consensus is that they either do 'prime' or 'activate' depending on whose definition you use. Point is you should hear the fuel pump when you turn the key, you may not because some are very quiet.

Either way it's obvious that P2P is not getting fuel, so why don't you try to help instead of acting like an asshat.

Reply to
Josh

Point well taken. Yeah, ocassionally I take her for a spin, so the tires stay good, and the rotors are refinished, and the AC is recirculated so the seals are tight... it is something that I guess that I could figure, but would appreciate a bit of help on... these things are time consuming if you aren't in the trade.

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

"P2P Xtasy" wrote in news:Dq50e.891$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

I had that problem with an older Camry (83). I recall that I had to cross a couple of wires, turn the ignition on and then read the diagnostic which was simply a series of blinks from one of the idio lights. It turned out to be a fuel pump. I rember the dealer wanted $125 and I got one at a discount parts store for much less. Anyhow, on a newer model I would imagine there is a method to do the diagnotics yourself. I know Autozone and others sell the diagnostic device ($30 or $40). Otherwise, you'll have to get it into the shop so someone can do it for you. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Thank you Jor... I did the time consuming, old fashioned method of tracing the problem back with the service manual, from a check of pressure at the fuel filter (none), a check of the EFI relay (good), a check of the fuses (good), a check of the other relay (good), and a check of the fuel pump, which turned out to be the culprit. Thanks for you input.

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

No, they dont prime when you turn the key on, period! They will run in the crank position or after the engine is running.

Reply to
MDT Tech®