96 Camry 2200cc valve lift ?

Hi all I just bought a 96 Camry with a 2.2 Auto 4 cylinder with 108,000 miles. It seems a little tired , especially from a dead stop , and the fuel mileage is not good at all. I set the time , put in new plugs , rotor button and distributor cap which helped. It still doesn't seem right. Oh, just had a new timing belt put in 10,000 miles ago. I'm wondering about the cam. Does anyone here happen to know what the lift should be on intake and exhaust valves ? I have the specs for the TOTAL lobe height but I would prefer not to take the cam out. I can check the lift real easy with my dial indicator. I tried to get my mic's or caliper on the lobes but not enough room.I have searched all over the net and can't find these specs. I sure would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

TIA

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Very unlikely to have significant wear on the cam lobes. You replaced the plugs - did you replace the spark plug wires? Check for resistance not greater than 25K ohms. Also, try using Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

use will remove deposits from the intake valves over time.Much more likely to restrict flow from gasoline additives accumulatingthan intake valve lift restricted from cam wear.Effect can be gradual but after a few thousand miles, you may noticequite an improvement.Also, of course, make sure the air filter is clean.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

If you had a munched cam, the physical damage would be readily apparent to the eye. Better look elsewhere for loss of power (subjective). Get an ECM code reader and check the computer for stored failure codes.

Reply to
Philip®

Thanks for the information , much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I did replace plug wires even though the old ones were within the 25,000 limit ,checked the compression , fuel pressure, new air filter and probably some other things that don't come to mind right now. The reason I asked about the cam. About 10 years ago I rebuilt a Honda 4 cylinder , I think a 1753cc. It had over 100,000 on it and didn't have the power it once had. The reason for the rebuild was a blown head gasket , water got in the cylinder and when I hit the starter it bent a rod, so I did a complete rebuild. When I checked the cam it was worn a lot but didn't show any signs. It was enough however , to affect the performance. Sure had a lot more power when I cranked it up again.

I have tried so many things on this Camry that now I'm grasping for straws. Maybe it's all in my head now LOL

Aga>> Hi all

Reply to
Ken Day

I'm not sure how the Camry reacts to these things failing (or if it even has the same parts), but replacing the o2 sensors and the knock sensor on my 96 Maxima made a world of difference. Have you tested these? When the knock sensor checked out bad, the timing was retarded quite a bit to a 'fail safe' mode so its damn near impossible to ping. This also means the car runs like garbage. The o2 sensors also affected performance, and particularly my gas mileage...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

List the things you have done and I am sure other suggestions will be offered.

Reply to
Philip®

I've noticed my '96 (4cyl man) progressively advances the ignition markedly above 3000 revs in 2nd. This feels like a power-boost, and it is, except by way of having the ignition initialy well retarded at lower revs under acceleration. Probably also a function of the knock sensor doing its job in an engine with high compression and some carbon build-up. Performance is subjective indeed!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I would have the fuel injectors cleaned by the toyota dealer. They disconnect the fuel pump and run this stuff directly into the fuel rail. It will run off this bottle for about 10 minutes at idle. This really fixed my 97 Camry after several bottles of that Techron stuff did nothing. Forget the cam...

Reply to
ROBMURR