'94 Camry - Another Broken Door handle Question

I have a 1994 Camry that just had the driver side door handle snap off. The dealership has one for approximately $100.00, but they warned that it is a very difficult job to replace it, and they want over 2 hours of labor time to do it themselves.

I am a fairly decent shade-tree mechanic, can do suspension work, convertible tops, brakes, cooling systems, almost anything but internal engine and automatic transmission work.

Is there something about the design of the Camry door handle that makes this job especially hard to do? I am looking for pointers before I tear into it.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Visit a junk yard (errr, used auto parts place) and take one off yourself. They should sell it to you cheaper if you do the work to scavenge it.

pws wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Check AutoZone's free online repair guide on how to remove the door trim. Sounds like you'll have no problem with this job. The service manager either assumed you knew nothing about cars or wanted $100 from you as he will get a cut of the profit.

Call both the dealer and a salvage yard and compare parts prices. Then again, you might want to practice on a "used car" for free.

pws wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

No, just sort of tedious....I'd do it for you for a hundred bucks too! But a shade tree mechanic who's a little intuitive should have no trouble.

Reply to
mack

Thanks to everyone who responded. The car is not actually mine, it belongs to a relative, but I will be the one repairing it.

The owner has already bought a new door handle, so I will go ahead and install that one. They were not concerned with $100.00 for the part, but the labor charge shocked me and I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something strange about the Camry door handle system that made it more difficult than most other cars to replace.

It sounds easy enough to figure out, and I don't mind if it tedious as long as I can do it. If I run into trouble I will get a manual, but I don't normally need one for something like this.

Thanks again!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Is it inside or outside Door handle ?? Is it front or rear doors

-Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

It is the outside door handle on the driver-side front, just the part that you grab snapped off. I can still open it, but it is not easy.

The car has had a lot of exposure to hot Texas summers and the piece looks to be somewhat brittle.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I finally got around to replacing the door handle. The most difficult part by far was removing the door panel. Toyota really wants it to stay on there. :-)

It is a little tight to work in there once you have the panel off, but not bad. I definitely preferred to give up about 1.5 hours of my time rather than give the dealership $138.00.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

I just bought a handle from the dealer for 106.00 out the door. I looked online and found what appears to be the same item for 30.00. I bought the one from the dealer because I wanted 100% fit, but now I have second thoughts...

I went to the autozone website mentioned and got a good diagram. Hopefully I will have as much success as pws had, only it might take me about 8 hours...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Does anyone want a broken 1994 camry outside drivers side door handle?

WDV

pws wrote:

wdvasquez

Glad you got it done. The door panels are a pain. For future reference you can download the manual here...

NickySantoro

It took me about 1.5 hours to replace the handle. I purchased the Haynes manual that negleted to mention there is a door panel screw behind a lamp assembly in the door panel.

I used 3/8 drive ratchet with an extensi> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

wdvasquez