95 power steering stiff

I've had a few problems with the power steering in my '95 Camry, and some one suggested to change the fluid and crank the steering all the way both ways (squealing noise). That's worked a few times, but now it's almost hit and miss wether the power steering is working well or not. Would tightening the first big belt on the left looking in the engine compartment help? Thanks to all.

Reply to
Some1

Tightening the belt is a good idea - but you need to get the right one! That "first big belt" runs the alternator and doesn't touch the power steering. You would need to remove the tire and wheel to access the power steering belt. Not quite sure I remember just how I tensioned that belt. I think it was loosening the adjustment bolt and then prying against it in the adjustment slot. Use the manual for specified tension - IIRC it was around 80 lbs. According to Toyota, belt tension is something to be checked periodically as a maintenance procedure, so definitely try that first. If you find the working surface of the belt is cracked or glazed, would be a good idea to replace it. I always prefer the factory parts - even for belts. Just bought a belt for the water pump on my truck from Toyota, and it is very solidly constructed and thoroughly reinforced compared to the notched aftermarket belt that had been there.

Reply to
Daniel