98 Camry check engine light

Hi.

My dad owns a 1998 Camry with 30,000kms and a few days ago the check engine light came on. Does anyone know how to figure out what the problem is or read the codes?

Alberto

Reply to
Alberto

You need an obd2 code reader, about 100 bucks. Someone you know probably has one. Or get one and charge your friends 5 bucks to read their codes like I do.

mike

--------------

Alberto wrote:

Reply to
MB

Unhook the negative side of the battery for about 5 mins then hook it back up and see if it comes on again.

Reply to
Toyoda

Hi.

I've already disconnected the battery and the code reappeared. I'm wondering is their some way of making the check engine light flash to indicate to problem?

Alberto

Reply to
Alberto

Hi. One other question, does anyone know where the computer or OBD2 connector is found on a camry?

Reply to
Alberto

Autozone has free engine analsysis. They will plug the reader and give you an answer with the hope that you will buy the parts from them.

Howard Epste> You need an obd2 code reader, about 100 bucks. Someone you know probably

Reply to
Howard Epstein

Alberto,

You can make the check engine light flash for the OBDI codes (and I think the level 1 codes for OBD-II). For most Toyota's, you connect a jumper wire across between TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic port under the hood, then turn the ignition to the on position, but don't start the car. This will make the check engine light blink in a sequence that repeats and you look up the flash sequence. (Here is a good site:

note the trouble code list there is not complete). I tried this on my2001 Camry, and it didn't flash at all, but I did have a manufacturerspecific trouble code). As for your second question, the OBD-II port should be under the dash board, it is a trapazoidal shaped port (kind of like a parallel port on a computer, but slightly larger). The guy at Autozone read the code off my 2001 Camry for free. Turned out to be a loose hose on the air intake system, but the dealer had to determine this for a bunch of money. This port requires a fancy serial communications session to be set up and requires a OBD-II reader to get any information out of. (also, don't get a cheap OBD-II reader, because they sell many ( Hi.

Reply to
highleys