98 CAMRY COOLANT RES?

Hi my 98 camry coolant resovoir has i think been in contact with oil and dried the plastic causing the tank to crack it now has a hole and i will be getting a new 1 in week , when it gets ordered in the coolant has also changed color a bit darker now

Reply to
mcknight

doyouhaveaquestionoristhisastreamofconsciousnesspost

Reply to
Mark A

I have a 94 Camry V6 and the reservoir has been cracked for a long while, but was not in contact with any oil. I believe the cause is underbonnet heat. It has not cracked below the waterline.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

It's always a good idea to replace coolant regularly - use Toyota brand and distilled water

Reply to
Daniel

Let me know if your new coolant reservoir works. I ordered one some time back, returned it for another, and still the new cap would come off in about a week of use - the sealing lip and ridge just counldn't be make to mesh properly. Went back to the old coolant tank and sealed the leak with Toyota's FIPG (form in place gasket) material. So far, no problems and it's been nearly a year.

Reply to
Daniel

Dark coolant is a sign that it's been left in there for too long. The anti-corrosion inhibitors are all used up, and it's eating your rubber hoses from the inside.

I just posted a message about Gates EPDM hoses. Electrolysis is the primary mode of failure these days for coolant hoses.

Besides the coolant (use Toyota Red with distilled water only; or use predilluted Toyota Pink, at the same price (if there is no toyota red left), I'd suggest you check/replace all your coolant hoses.

Also check:

The following site also tells you how to check your hoses ("Give a Good Squeeze to a Bad Hose"):

Gates hoses:

johngdole