'98 Camry EVAP/VSV questions

My wife's check engine light came on about 3 weeks ago and our local Toyota dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty VSV. They quoted a cost of $278.00 to repair. We have seen different threads online stating that certain federal emission laws warranty this as well as all other EVAP items. Also, the car was sold in Mass. and they follow the same guidelines as CA emission standards. The dealership denies any responsibility and states such laws do not exist. Has anyone encountered this problem before or has knowledge of federal emission laws? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
paddy21

What is the average hourly rate to have an attorney resolve your conflict? $150? $200? $250. Well, for $10 per month you can join Pre-Paid Legal, contact your assigned legal firm and they will resolve your case with your local dealer.

Toyota

Reply to
IceMan

You could always check the price of the Toyota vacuum switching valve online, and check for qualified alternate local mechanics to install it. Replacement is not a complex procedure. There are only two vacuum lines attached, that can be removed by hand, and the valve itself just threads into the water jacket. Sounds like the tricky part has already been done - that would be the diagnosis and isolating the problem correctly. Your car is six years old. If it were newer, emissions warranty could have more applicability. I'm more inclined to fix things myself, but am sure if you begin searching government web sites, you can find the applicable regulations.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Call Toyota headquarters in California and deal with them. Has helped me greatly in the past.

Reply to
ROBMURR

At last! I got the confirmation number from Toyota and it is a recalled part and will be fixed for free, it applies to '98-'99 Camry's (CE, LE, XLE) sold in California or Massachusetts. Thank you to everyone who replied.

Reply to
paddy21

Hopefully not at the above (un)helpful dealer.

Reply to
JH

Your dealer should have looked that up for you, but if they are like my dealer they cant even find their TSB book!

Reply to
ROBMURR