Oil Change

52 plate Focus 1.8 TDCI estate: Probably a silly query: To change the engine oil, does the whole under-engine tray (cover) have to be removed to get at sump plug? Thanks. John.
Reply to
J Bompas

On Mon, 21 May 2007 05:36:38 GMT, "J Bompas" wrote Re Oil Change:

What does "52 plate" mean?

Just the plug.

Reply to
Vic Dura

It's a reference to the date of first registration using the complex UK system. It means first registered in September 2002. If you're interested, there's some detail here:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A UK vehicle registered between September 2002 to March 2003. The 52 bit is prefixed by a code indicating the region / office it was registered and following this there would be a random 3 letter vehicle identifier, so the poster's registration will look something like AB52 CDE.

Reply to
Richard Parkin

I had my oil and filter changed at Kwik Fit last month and watched how they did it. Yes, they removed the under engine cover to get access. Six or eight screws or thereabouts.

Reply to
Alt Beer

Thanks, "Alt Beer". You'd have thought Ford could have made a hole in the under engine cover so as to save all that bother!

Reply to
J Bompas

Hi JB

Probably talking thro' my thick skull, can you drill a hole thro' the under cover to get a socket thro'? (if necessary after removing cover the first time)

Delboy

Reply to
Delboy

I'm not familiar with that engine, but wouldn't you have to remove the under tray to change the filter anyway?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, you do have to remove the whole under engine tray to change the oil or the oil filter. Normally you would always change the oil filter with the oil so making a "hole" to get to the sump plug to drain the oil would probably be a silly idea. It may also alter the air flow that cools the gearbox/transaxle assembly, as the hole would have to be probably 75mm in diameter to be successful for the job.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I will stick with your advice and not mess around making holes. John.

Reply to
J Bompas

Guess I was talking thro' my thick skull. Just ignore me and perhaps I will go away. :-} or :-{

Reply to
Delboy