HID headlamps on 03/04 Camry?

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new Camry, either 03 or 04. I could swear I've seen the Camry with Xenon/HIDs on the roads in both the US and Canada but when I asked at the dealership they disagreed strongly.

I don't know what these people were using, I'm quite sure they weren't the fake $19.99 bulbs or if they were, they're well worth the money :-)

Can the ES300 headlamps be fitted on the Camry?

Anyone know if there are aftermarket kits available and what the ballpark price is?

Thanks!

Kevin

Reply to
K C

Piaa makes top stuff both Hid and Hid similar and regular good stuff..... go to PIAA .COM ,,,,,,,, its all quality, from a customer...

Reply to
mark Ransley

How much difference is the PIAA lights vs. the stock lighting on the 2002 Camry? Is it worth spending $100 on 2 lightbulbs?

Reply to
Car Guy

lights are rated in candlepower,or lumen. hid is about 1000us . the new sylvania is apx the same candlepower as the pia, but im talking about the bulb a 91 uses. it depends on the bulb your car takes, there is a pia bulb with much more light, it the style that fits a mercedes. piaa

1500 fog lights are very good , i use 2 sets, fog and driving and have piaa main bulbs for an equivalent of apx 500 watts of light. Very bright. Piaa is a well made light and harness. with a well designed light pattern.
Reply to
mark Ransley

if you take an h4 bulb piaa has a good bright bulb, more than 100 watt output .if you use a 9000 series sylvania is apx equal in candlepower and look more like hid in color.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I was looking for more of a real HID setup. Something with a self leveliing system that ensures they're always directed correctly. I think the Camry Solara has self leveling xenons. Same with the ES300/30

Kevin

Reply to
K C

The 2002/03 Camrys do NOT have HIDs as an option. It is possible to retrofit projectors and a HID system in the car, I have seen it done on a 2003 Camry.

Here's a pic for those who dont' believe me.

You basically have to cut out the back to make the projectors fit in and then of course install the bulbs, wiring harness and ballasts. A system like this (including OEM Audi Projectors) costs about $400 US.

Don't buy that PIAA crap...it'll melt your wiring harness after awhile if it's more than 55 watts or so. And if any bulb claims 55 watts = 100 watts output, it's crap.

Reply to
hlee

Gee Piaa Crap , Ive used Pia Crap in 3 caddys , 2 toys, 1 honda , and my neighbor has him in his mercedes... And my other neighbor is the Chicago times Auto Columnist. My neighbor has a Mercedes and says their H series are outstanding for the price , no Hid required, Yess their 9000 series are less than stellar, they suck, but the h4 are different, and right and bright.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Look at PIAA's marketing.... "This H4 style bulb combines several PIAA technologies. The Plasma Blue Bulb features a Plasma Blue low beam, a Super White high beam, and PIAA's XTRA technology that provides 60/65watt with 110/100watt output. SAE certified."

Simply put, you cannot produce more output than what is inputed. 60 watts does NOT 100 watts. Blue bulbs are NOT brighter than regular clear bulbs. Do they look nicer? Sure. Is the light whiter? Yes. Do they compare to real HID? Not even close. Do they burn out fast and cost a lot? Yes. A set of regular Philips bulbs will produce more light than the PIAAs, but of course, it's hard to tell. Try turning on your PIAAs on a pitch black road, it won't light up anything. If you try it on a dark snow covered road, your PIAAs will look amazing.

But I do have to say that they are one of the more reputable companies out there compared to the extra crappy stuff on ebay or Eurolights... but if you want blue bulbs, try Sylvannias Silverstars...best bang for your buck.

Reply to
hlee

What would be a brighter bulb upgrade to the stock lighting? I just want to replace the low beam bulbs to something brighter. Is blue the way to go or just get a whiter bulb?

Reply to
Car Guy

If you notice replacement sylvania sealed beam are in different grades, one with more output. Lumens. One reason hid offer better vision is the kelvin , or temperature of the light. It is a range that offers us better vision. Blue lights are ilegal in my state, and are hard on approaching drivers, as are hid. Ive seen piaaH4 , and I see it being brighter. I also have a set of piaa 1000 fog midrange lights on a car with 55 watt bulb. Well let me say , they are so dam bright they are blinding, they sometimes hurt my eyes. They consume 55 but seem like

110. Ive had good reliability, but yes, they burn hotter and wont last as long. So what i need light, I drive alot of unlitt areas with deer.
Reply to
mark Ransley

I use the Sylvania XTra vision lamps; they're inexpensive and visibly, if not dramatically brighter. Sylvania has also introduced Silver Star bulbs, which are even brighter "and" have a blue coating. They're expensive and have short lives. I haven't tried 'em.

BTW, blue coated bulbs in general are a waste. The coating (intended to mimic the appearance of HID lighting systems) actually decreases light a bit; all they do is look cool to other drivers. The color of the light doesn't affect visibility significantly.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Silver Stars are good , Piaa 9000 series are no better, same candlepower. My piaa 9000 are 6 yrs old. H4 series Piaa are better.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Yet another example of an asshole who doesn't give a shit about blinding oncoming traffic. Wisen up--there are LAWS in every state and province LIMITING output of the REGULAR headlight beam. High beams--go for it, however.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

blinding people is not nice, many factory equiped fogs are not aimed, or are a poor design. First thing i do is re aim lights where they work for me but dont blind oncomming traffic.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Agreed. However, low beams DO annoy if stronger than factory bulbs are used.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

It's also totally idiotic to blind an oncoming vehicle that's heading right for you. Unless of course you really like head-on collisions....

"Plan?......... Ain't no plan!"

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson