Change 2 tires or 4 tires?

Hi,

I am looking into replacing the tires on my camry LE 2000.

Current tires are 15" Yokohama Y420 (which comes on Camry XLE and some lexus sedans).

Both Front tires needs to be replaced, but the back tires can last me about 10k more, as I do not have a lead foot. The Yokohama tires are H rated (

Reply to
skewe

IMO, it is ok to just replace the fronts (others may disagree). However, that only holds true if you have the same tire on all 4 wheels. So in your case, I would replace all 4.

But, I would not put a T rated tire on a car that the manufacturer specifies use an H rated tire. It is not just a question of speed, but also of braking and handling ability.

Many people make the mistake of assuming they can choose the tire based on the maximum speed they drive, and matching it with the speed rating of the tire. That is very common misconception.

Reply to
Mark A

It will be no problem. The age-old rule applies: keep tire-brand and condition the same on each axle (meaning front or rear). You'd be retiring good rubber ('scuse the pun) unnecessarily if you did the whole 4,...unless they were all stuffed.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Mark, Thanks.

I am a bit concerned about his thoughts.

"But, I would not put a T rated tire on a car that the manufacturer specifies use an H rated tire. It is not just a question of speed, but also of braking and handling ability.

Many people make the mistake of assuming they can choose the tire based on the maximum speed they drive, and matching it with the speed rating of the tire. That is very common misconception."

The original tires that came with the car is a H rated tire, Dunlop SP Sports 4000. They suck.

Does it really matter if I move from a H to a T rated tire? I do not plan to go near 100mph but as what Mark brought up, it does raise my eyebrows.

I have the Goodyear Regatta 2 on m 1993 Camry and I think they are good tires in the rain, not to mention, 75000 mile warranty.

Mark A wrote:

some

me

are H

( > Should I change just the front or the whole set? Will there be any

However,

your

specifies

braking

based on

of the

Reply to
skewe

I too believe you should stick with the same spee/load rating tire as was on the car from the manf. Lower rating tires are cheaper - there must be a really sound reason for the manufacturer to have spent extra on a higher rating tire --- handling and safety. A lead foot or not wouldn't really affect rear tires on a front drive car. I bet the T rated tires will have more flexible side walls which would affect handling to some degree.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I would suggest a set of 4 Yokohama Avid H4s as they last about 60,000 miles and have a AA for traction and A for temp and are H rated.

Here is a link to the tires and their feedback:

Car Guy

"I am a bit concerned about his thoughts."

Many people disagree with me, and there is nothing wrong with staying in the "H" speed rating the manufacturer recommends for your vehicle, however . . . you are not driving at high speed. Yes, I know the argument that the tire construction is better, and handling suffers due to weaker sidewalls - braking is less effective, etc., but I am not convinced. Chances are, you're not going to be driving over 80 mph. or 90 absolute maximum. In my experience, even an "S" rated tire will be fine.

"Conventional passenger car radials need only meet the minimum Department of Transportation standard of 85 mph." In my opinion, the load rating is more significant than the speed rating. I would not use a tire with a lower load rating than standard. Here's my take on speed ratings. First, under the right conditions, your Camry can probably reach speeds of roughly 125 mph, so it makes sense the manufacturer will specify a tire capable of sustained speeds of 130 mph. In Europe, tires are road tested at speed, in the US, the test is mechanical. The primary consideration for speed rating is heat dissipation. Tires run hotter at higher speeds. This is why high speed rated tires generally have a temperature designation under US DOT regs. of "A". I assume most people feel the A speed rating is better than the "B" heat or "temperature" rating of lower speed rated tires. It means heat can be dissipated more effectively. But don't forget that the higher speed rated performance tires also tend to have lower wear ratings. If the lower speed rated tires have thicker or denser tread blocks, and / or rubber compounds, they may not release heat as quickly, but can last for 80,000 miles, whereas many "performance" tires wear far more quickly, cost more, require more frequent replacement, and can create higher levels of road noise due to open tread block designs. Speeds in excess of one hundred miles per hour are a special condition. Most manufacturers recommend significantly higher tire air pressure for sustained speeds in excess of 100 mph. If you've ever driven over 100 you know conditions are different at those speeds. The Europeans initiated the tire speed rating system, and there are countries in Europe that permit these higher speeds (up to 150 mph and more) so the exercise is not just a technical one for them. My Camry takes 195/70-14 tires, and I run Yokohama Avid Touring, "S" speed rated. (112 mph). Yokohama designed the AVID (advanced vehicle integrated design) for a range of automobiles which specifically includes the Camry - so according to the tires manufacturer, that tire is ideally suited to that vehicle - primarily because it balances quiet comfortable ride with good handling, good wet weather performance and long life. Even on days where the ambient temperature is 80 degrees, after several hours on the freeway, when stopping for gas, the tire sidewalls are only slightly warm - the alloy wheels are hot - especially in front, where engine heat is transferred through the axles to the wheels, but the tires are not hot. I make a practice of checking the tire pressures cold, once a week and adjusting as required. Usually, the changes in tire pressure are slight and required by changing ambient temperatures. When the weather cools, the pressure drops and rises when warmer - approximately 1 psi per 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Insuring the tires are all at the correct pressure - and then maintaining that pressure is one of the single most significant performance enhancements available, and it increases safety also. I can feel the difference in ride quality when the pressure is off by one half pound. Personally, I like to have all four tires the same. And, I also rotate them every 5,000 miles. I do this myself - clean the inside of the wheels, inspect the tread, check the axle boots, check for oil leaks, etc., then hand torque the lug nuts,and re tighten them

30 days later. I also use an accurate, brass, dial type air pressure gauge, with an air bleed valve. What's going to happen if you run T rated tires on your Camry? You're cruising the Interstate and the tires blow up? Not likely. You take a corner too fast and the tires squeal, you lose control and crash? Not likely. I continue to be amazed at the cornering performance of the stock Camry. I do run the front 4 psi over the rear, which tends to reduce understeer though. At the stock recommended pressures (26 F/R), the front tires would scrub off speed too easily for my taste. Braking performance will suffer? You'll need to brake hard and the car will spin out and skid? Not likely. I've done emergency braking maneuvers where the car stopped extremely rapidly. Basically, the lower speed rating means you can buy a longer wearing, more comfortable, quieter tire for less money. Assuming you're buying major well established brands and not no name junk tires. I've seen bargain tires where the lettering on the sidewalls doesn't come out of the mold cleanly and is indistinct. I always like to see and inspect the actual tires before they're installed. Some tire brands are better than others. Personally, I would never use Firestone tires. They've had several serious problems through the years. I lost confidence in them when the "721" tires shredded. There are enough other manufacturers from which to choose. Also had disappointing results from expensive Pirelli tires on a Mercedes. From a tire store manager: "A good bit of the problem we had with radial and other tire faults were the brand of tires themselves. Of the major tire brands, we had many problems with Firestones, Pirellis, and Goodyear - they just always seemed to have problems with them, no matter what price tire we had." And: "We never had any problems with customers who came in with tires (sold and/or installed by us or not) by Michelin, BF Goodrich, Dunlop, Yokohama, secondary brands like Hankooks" IMHO, Yokohama offers excellent value and quality, but you're free to choose whichever you wish. The most important thing about tires is to check the pressure. Also make sure they're balanced correctly, that the wheel alignment is correct. Camrys tend to hold alignment quite well generally.
Reply to
nospampls2002

Compare yourself

The best one is "Goodyear Assurance TripleTred"

I installed them 2 month ago to my Camry 95 and I love how they handle high speed turns and wet road handling. I didnt test them on ice or snow yet, but I will in 2 weeks. Drove 3600 miles so far.

2 tire change is OK (put them in front) 4 tire change is Better

Good luck

Reply to
A A