Timing belt replacement on V6

I looked at a 2001 9-5 SE V6 at a local dealer with 90,000 miles on it. When I started it up to take it for a drive, the service overdue message came on. My question is, how hard is it to change the timing belt on this particular engine? The service manual says that it is supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles and since the car had two owners - one of them leased it - I doubt the timing belt hes ever been changed.

Reply to
Piotr Charnewski

I am not sure about the 2001 V-6 engines, I would certainly hope there were improvements. The V-6 engines in the 1994 and new 900s were a piece of crap, GM of course. The timing belts were supposed to go to

60,000 miles, but due to the high failure rate of the belts and it being an interference engine, the interval was unofficially changed to 30,000 miles. Changing the timing belt on this GM engine is a pain and could cost as high as $1,200 USD. Like I said, I hope GM/Saab improved the engine design by 2001 - but since GM is in charge I doubt it . . .
Reply to
ma_twain

Thank you for the information. It makes sense. As far as improving engine design when every car company always seems to try to get away with the cheapest product possible, it is very unlikely.

Reply to
Shrug

"Piotr Charnewski" skrev i en meddelelse news:6adfe.17383$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

It's the exact same engine as in the '94 900. And just to change the plugs cost a lot of money, as you have to remove the inlet-manifold, to get to the

3 of them.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I have a 2001 V6, and I do not think it is the same engine as the 94 900. I did niot have to remove the intake manifold to change the plugs.

But as far as the timing belt the shop time with AllData is 3 hours. First off, the belt should have been replaced at 60,000 miles, the 60,000 change should have been at free from SAAB. What is involved, well I had mine done by SAAB a few months ago, the belt and labor is free, but while the engine is aprt you may want to change the following.....belt tensioner (250.00), idler pully(70.00), serpentine belt (60.00), serpentine pully (50.00), I have also hear to have the water pump and thermostat replaced. I did not have the waterpump and thermostat changed.

It can be done by DIY but you need a tool to hold the crankshaft and the two cams in place, the tool is pricey.

My suggestion. First call a SAAB dealer with your VIN, see if they have replaced the belt at 60K, see if the tensioner was done at that time. If so, you may be fine to 120K. If they did not replace it, ask them to with the free belt/labor deal. If I am not mistaken, SAAB recommends 60K, but they are willing to do the belt upto 100K. The dealer may try to sell you the 60K service check, $600.00, you do not need to have this 60K service done to get your belt replaced!!! I was told by the dealer I had to, SAAB USA says you dont have to!!!!

If the dealer moans about it, call SAAB USA, tell them you want to have your timing belt replaced under their free replacement plan. Make sure they do not confuse this belt with the serpentine belt, they at first did with me. Even with the free replacement, if you get the additional tensioner, pully, serpentinne, etc.... plan to drop about $600.00. If they ony do the belt it should be next to nothing.

GOOD LUCK, GO FOR THE FREE BELT! CALL the dealer and call SAAB USA>

Reply to
Walp