After-market Air filter '03 Camry

Well, Napa finally has an after-market air filter and cabin air filter out now for my '03 4-cylinder.

Up until now, nobody locally had aftermarkets and the Toyota dealer charged $22 for the air filter one last time I looked vs. $12 at Napa and $28 for the cabin vs. $22 at Napa.

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I had to stand on my head, recite Japanese and curse colorfully before I could get the air filter box cover to snap back into place. Seems that Napa made the rubber edge gasket fairly thick on the air filter, which made it hellish to get the filter into place. Hey, for the $10 savings, I managed, but was not happy.

The Origninal Toyota filter is fiber medium all around, no rubber at all and on the edges where the cover snaps down is about 75 percent thinner than the after-market replacement.

The cabin air filter was a little fussier than the Toyota also, but did snap in without TOO much trouble.

Reply to
timbirr

I've found the same problem with WIX filters, which are a good quality and make a lot of the NAPA filters for them. Don't know the exact dollar savings but it is noticable. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

You can buy OEM yota parts from some of the discount dealers for 20-30% off --- and some ship free with no sales tax. I personally would rather stick with parts I know I can depend on --- otherwise I would have bought a Hyndai and saved >$7k! $22k for Can\mry SE vice $14k for Hyndai.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Give me the names and URLS and I'll order. I'm in Oregon, so sales tax is not an issue (we don't have it).

Yep, I know WIX makes pretty much all the Napa "Gold" filters, which these were. Wix are top quality.

Reply to
timbirr

Reply to
Wolfgang

I checked the prices on the websites. None of them work out cheaper than the Napa parts, although they are considerably cheaper than my local Toy dealer's prices -- except for oil filters, seems those are cheap at all Toy dealers.

When I get into ignition parts, I'll probably order from one of the above though.

I'm perfectly satisfied with Napa filters, despite the extra four-minutes I have to struggle and curse to get the air filter in....at least I know it fits tight (HA HA).

Reply to
timbirr

I'm with you there. I prefer OEM items myself. Cheaper after market parts are exactly that --- CHEAPER (in quality, in fitment, in durability, etc.)

Reply to
Viperkiller