Air Filter

I'll probably stick with the stock, OEM air filter for the Camry, though I'll likely change out the stock oil filter for a Mobil 1 or Amsoil model--probably the Amsoil because the Mobil oil filter has rough threads, not as smooth as I had expected. I think the Amsoil oil filter is model Ea010 or Ea0010 IIRC.

So I don't lose the info, I'm posting the specs for the stock Toyota OEM air filter:

Air Filter for 4-cylinder LE:

Model = ACV30

Part number = 17801-0H010

Production date = 0107-0602

Cost is $17 online from the Toyota parts web site ToyotaPartsAndService.com , which also provided the specs listed above.

Reply to
Built_Well

Why do the threads make any difference as long as the filter screws properly onto the engine ? Just put a couple drops of fresh oil on the threads (and the rubber gasket ring) before you install it.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

========

In a test conducted a few years ago, the Amsoil filter "could hold 21 grams of particulate matter. Comparable filters from Mobil 1 and Pure 1 held 18 grams and 15 grams respectively. So, the AMSOIL filter held 17% more than the Mobil 1 and 40% more than the Pure 1. The AMSOIL also appears to have a little heavier construction."

One nice thing about the stock OEM Toyota filter is the gasket comes pre-oiled, beneath a plastic cover. Some folks say the OEM Toyota filter is made by Purolator, which also makes the Pure 1 mentioned above. Fine filter. Like the OEM Toyota filter, the Mobil and Amsoil both have anti-drainback valves.

Reply to
Built_Well

My 1998 Sienna has 201,000 miles on it running Mobil 1 5W-30 and Purolator PurOne oil filters. Engine burns about half a quart of oil between oil changes (that average about 8000 miles) and the car delivers within 1 mpg of the best it ever did.

I change my air filters about twice as often as Toyota recommends. I can afford to do that because I'm saving so much on oil filters. :-)

Re. rough threads: the design of the gasket is far more important, IMHO.

Reply to
ACAR

========

ACAR, that's quite a good record, over 200,000 miles. Have you ever felt the need to use Techron Concentrate Plus in the gas tank?

Reply to
Built_Well

If the test is more than a few years old, it is meaningless since Amsoil has changed suppliers for their filters. I have pictures of the guts of an Ea011 Oil Filter (not for a Toyota) at

. Donaldson is the manufacturer for the Amsoil Ea filter line.

If this is for a 4 cylinder Toyota, the OEM filters are made by Denso. The OE filter on the engine was probably made in Japan and is a very different constrcution than any other filter I've ever seen. The replacement filters are made in Thailand and aren't anything special. I think the PureOne Filter is much better than the Thailand made Denso filters. See

for pictures of the guts (no actual performance data). Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Here is another interesting refernce to Toyota Oil Filters:

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

C. E. White wrote: > Thailand made Denso filters. ========

Most of the parts under my 'yota's hood have Denso on them. Denso must have some American factories, too, because I stopped by the dealership today to get a look at the OEM air filter they sell. The packaging had Toyota on it and the air filter had "Denso" written on it and "Made in the U.S.A."

But I don't doubt that the Denso *oil* filters are made in Thailand, as you mentioned.

I'll have to keep what you said in mind about their quality and consider buying the Purolator or the Amsoil oil filter in place of the OEM.

I probably will stick with the OEM filter for this next oil change, because I'm dumping the Mobil 1 and replacing it with Pennzoil Platinum, which shows less engine wear metals like iron and lead in UOAs. I'm only going to change one factor at a time--the only good way to make meaningful comparisons.

But the OEM oil filter's days are numbered, I think.

Reply to
Built_Well

Not since the advent of Top Tier Gasolines.

Reply to
ACAR

Toyota owns a big chunk (23% or so) of Nippondenso (aka Denso) directly, and indirectly owns more through other companies it controls. Roughly 50% of Denso's sales are to Toyota. Honda is Denso's second largest Customer, but at 7.5% of Denso's volume, they are not exactly a major Customer.

Denso has quite a few manufacturing plants in the US (and more in Canada and Mexico). Air and oil filters are manufactured at a plant in Tennessee plant owned by a joint venture between Denso and Toyota Boshoku (another Toyota affiliate) The company is TBDN Tennessee Company. It manufactures air cleaners and oil filters. See -

. The oil filters I have bought for my SO's RAV4 are labeled either made in Japan (the good ones) or made in Thailand (the less good ones).

I like the OE Toyota filters (made in Japan, P/N 90915-10004) and would keep using them if I can find them. I am not impressed with the Toyota replacement style filters (made in Thailand, P/N 90915-YZZF1). I prefer the Purolater PL14477 Filter over the 90915-YZZF1 Filter.

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Thank you very much for the info, Ed. Do you happen to have a link to that SAE research paper written by Barris about air filters? It's $14 at SAE.org, the price of an Amsoil filter ;-)

Reply to
Built_Well

SAE does a very good job of securing it's papers these days. It used to be that you could purchase a pdf copy and share it. How they have added extra security that prevents copies from opening on other computers. I've never downloaded that particular paper. I've only read the extracts quoted in other papers. You might find a freely available SAE paper from Visteon interesting. See

. It discusses factors that contribute to air filter life. Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Denso may own manufacturing plants in the US but they may also contract out to other manufacturers in the US. For instance, Interstate Batteries are made by Johnson Controls as are quite a few of the domestic OEM batteries. Exide is another company that manufactures batteries that are re-branded. Both companies make quality products.

Just because the oil filter is made in Thailand or Tennessee doesn't mean it's inferior to ones made in Japan.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

I didn't mean to imply that this was the case. Go to my page showing the insides of the two filters mentioned and decide for yourself which you prefer. See

. Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the link, you've done some work there. But I fail to see what there is about any of the filters that you don't like. You admit that you have no scientific test results on any of the filters. I think it would be impossible to judge filter material efficiency by appearance alone. I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that I don't see anything from the pictures that would make me choose one over the other.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

I didn't like the flimsy end caps on the Thailand made Toyota filter. I thought the Japan made Toyota filter had a superior bypass valve. The Japan made filter appeared to have a silicone anti-drainback valve and a silicone o-ring for the base gasket, while the Thailand filter had a nitrile anti-drainback valve and base gasket. The filter material in the Thailand filter was conventional cellulose. The Japan filter had a very different molded filter element. Was this superior? I don't know, but I am certain it was more expensive to make. I don't believe Toyota spends more money on a component unless they have a reason to do so. It may be that they only feel the unusual filter media is needed for a "new" engine. I know when I cut the OE filter open there were metallic particles trapped in the filter element.

I see no reason to prefer the Thailand made Toyota filter over a Purolator PureOne filter.

I think my original summary on the web page is still appropriate -

"This filter [the PureOne] came off of a 2007 four cylinder RAV4 at the second oil change (4600 miles on the filter, around 7800 on the engine). It is a well made conventional filter with a silicone anti-drain back valve and base gasket. I'd rate it well ahead of the Toyota 90915-YZZF1 Oil Filter. I don't know where it fits relative to the OE Toyota P/N 90915-10004 Oil Filter. The 90915-10004 Filter is so different from conventional filters that any comparison made without the use of dedicated filter test equipment would be worthless. The Purolator PL14477 Filter can be purchased for around $6. This falls in between the Toyota 90915-10004 and 90915-YZZF1 Filters. If you are changing your oil at the recommended 5000 mile intervals, this filter is a better choice than the Toyota 90915-YZZF1 Oil Filter. Whether or not the 90915-10004 filter is worth $2 bucks more than the Purolator is an open question."

For my SO's RAV4, I decided to stick with the Japan made Toyota filter, at least as long as I can get them for a reasonable price. It might not be better, but I'll bet it is not worse than the Thailand made Toyota filter.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for the answer Ed. I've only got my experience to go by but I've never had a problem with any oil filter. I've heard horror stories of seams breaking open and dumping all the oil on the ground, ruining the engine, etc. But it has never happened to me or anyone I know, it's always been a friend of a friend. I'll just stick to using name-brand filters and trust to luck, it hasn't failed my in 45 years.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Another good oil filter study can be found at

Built_Well