89 camry washer pump

My washer fluid will not spray. This car was given to me by the original owner, and she gave me the service records with the car. about a year before I got it it says the washer nozzles were cleaned.

I press the button on the end of the washer control and it does nothing (though sometime the engine strains slightly if it's idling).

Any thoughts?

I was going to simply replace the washer pump outright, but I can't seem to find it. The Haynes Manual for the car say nothing in the index about it and I have leafed through the book several times without finding anything about anything close to it besides that wiper motor itself, which works perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jason

Please reply to the group.

Reply to
Jason

I have a 90 camry and my pump died not too long ago(pressed button and could not hear pump motor). My pump was attached to the base of the reservoir. In order to get to it I had to pull back the plastic of the wheel well area towards the front right of the car. I pulled out the old one and attached the new one($20 new) with some crude wire splicing. Make sure your tank is empty before you pull out the old pump or you're going to get a face full of washer fluid. Works fine now. This assumes that it is your pump of course. It's possible a fuse is blown....Good luck.

Reply to
ededit68

Check inside the washer fluid bottle. If you find the spray nozzles aren't working properly afterward, you might want to replace them - should just clip in place from beneath the hood.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The pump is usually at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir (bottle). Does the pump sound like it is operating? If yes, before you attempt to replace the pump you should detach the rubber tubing at the Y on the bottom side of the hood and see if the pump operates.

Reply to
Marvinman