Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

I have 2000 camry VE (4 cylinder) 71000 milesm Yesterday while driving home I see it was roaring like a motor bike (or race car) I pop up the hood up and like it was smelling like burning gas...Any one knows what it could be?

Can I still drive the car to the repair shop or do I have to tow it to the repair shop?

Thanks,

Reply to
c_shah

may be this is coming from where engine connect to muffler?

Reply to
c_shah

It's probably the flexible exhaust pipe breaking or has a hole. They are used where engine movement (caused by engine torque) is an issue. It is I think, between the exhaust engine pipe and the cat-convertor. You wont cause any damage if you quietly drive to an ezhaust repair shop. You probably will have to slide under the car to see the flex-pipe. Its just behind the engine towards the rear.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I can tell I have to push the Gas padal little harder to get it going

Reply to
c_shah

Yeah,..my thoughts on the matter are limited unless you can post the noise on some binary NG for example. A bad exhaust leak does sound like a Harley running straight pipes tho,..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Turn the engine on - if the sound is coming from the engine, you probably have a problem with the manifold, in which case, you should take it to a shop to be repaired. If it's coming from the exhaust pipe under the car you could take it to a muffler shop. You should still be able to drive the car to be repaired.

Reply to
dsi1

I took it to the repair shop, it was flexible pipe. Shop told me that it will cost $460 for the whole new flex pipe but I can pay $130 to just repair the pipe. Anyway I paid $130 and hope I was not taken on the ride.

Reply to
c_shah

I took my car a couple of times to Midas Muffler and asked for an estimate. They'd say it comes out to 200 or so bucks and I'd tell ask them to see if they could fix the hole temporally while it was on the lift and they'd weld the hole and then I'd give them 20 bucks. Boy that sure worked out well for me!

Reply to
dsi1

Wow! I've never heard of ANYONE getting out of a Midas shop for less than $150, and I stopped listening 20 years ago. Those guys make Jay Gould look like a girl scout!

Reply to
spsffan

I did this was 20 or so years ago. I had a lot more hootspa back then. :-)

Reply to
dsi1