Camry Oil Filter

Last week. I stopped at our local Toyota dealer to get an oil filter for our

2003 Camry. I told the man behind the parts counter the year and that it was the 4 cylinder engine. The next day, I changed the oil and filter but did not notice until after I had already changed the filter that the part number for the new filter did not match the old oil filter. The one that I took off was 90915-YZZA1. The filter that I got from the dealer and installed was 99015-YZZA2. Checking on-line, this new filter was used in earlier 4 cylinder engines but the 2003 calls for the 90915-YZZA1 filter. Did the Toyota dealer give me the wrong filter? Will the 90915-ZZA2 filter cause any damage to the engine or will it be OK until the next oil change?
Reply to
hoerschy

Call a few Toyota dealers in your area and see what part number they give you. Also ask them what car the YZZA2 is meant for.

Most likely you won't do any damage -- I use an oil filter meant for a Lexus V8 on my Camry V6.

Reply to
Jay

How hard is it to change an oil filter? Just let the car sit over night, so no ol leaks out when you remove it. Once "made do" with what I later discovered was the wrong size oil filter cap wrench supplied by the Dealer parts department. When I finally brought it in out of frustration because you had to press really hard to keep it from slipping, they just exchanged it for the right size (looked the same but the new one works properly) at no change, and with no hassle. Maybe they'll do the same for you. An oil filter is what, less than $5 right?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

(...)

It is probably the perfect filter.

Every time I purchase brake pads and various filters for my Camrys, the part numbers are different. I expect it is a program to keep the after- market parts suppliers busy.

Unless you find out differently, DON'T PANIC!!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston