Camry or Nissan

My S.O. is trying to choose between a Nissan Altima 4 cylinder and a Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. She test drove both cars briefly but would like to know the pros and cons of each better. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on the choice between the two or perhaps a third choice in a similar car from another manufacturer in the same performance and price range. She drives mostly highway miles - about 350 miles per week with little in town type driving.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Having owned both makes of vehicles, I'd say her decision should be based on comfort and MPG. Anything other than that is not going to make as much of a difference. Of course, initial cost might mean something if they are really different prices, but I doubt it.

Toyota is probably a bit more reliable IMHO. The Nissan will break down a bit more but last longer if she keeps it past 100,000 miles. Probably to around 250,000 or even 350,000+ if she maintains it.

Toyotas tend to burn oil later whereas my Nissans NEVER did. Ever...

I'd choose on comfort and MPG. Comfort being more important than MPG as your body will last longer than either vehicle.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

Aside from Nissans being downright UGLY (if you hate one, you'll hate them all!), they are also ALL interference engines, meaning, keep an eye on the timing belt! Don't push it.

Also, my experience, unless they've changed in the past few years is that they just aren't built as well as Toyotas. My 240SX was even held together with Sheet Metal screws in palces where Toyota would weld a nut and use a bolt! (Shake, rattle and GROAN!)

How about a nice Accord? Or better, a Civic Si? Vrooom Vrooom! (and the same warning about the timing belt...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

The current Toyota interiors rely on squeeze fits like old GM products. Click and rattle complaints are the norm.

Reply to
Art

Interference engines, with timing BELT (not chain)? Incredible...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Both are fine vehicles, What I like most about my 07 Camry is the exterior design. I personally don't like the "jet inspired" tail lights on the Altima. Did Altima won the 2007 Motor Trend Car of the Year?... Not.

My 2nd Choice is the Sonata, You get a lower resalle value but that is offset by the lower price you pay for the vehicle upfront.

  1. Toyota 2. Hyundai 3. Nissan

Reply to
EdV

I drove the new Accord before deciding to buy Toyota... I just didnt like the ride. It was ROUGH.

Reply to
<HLS

Well the new Mitsubishi Lancer looks sweet, anybody here familiar with Active Yaw, whats Toyota's counterpart to this

Reply to
EdV

Yep. If it has a timing belt, keep an eye on it!

Toyota has done this too. It's a cheap way to wring some extra ooomph out of an engine, by increasing the valve duration. The easiest way to tell on a Toyota is, if it's a twin cam, it's NOT interference, and if it's a SOHC, it is.

Not ALL the time, but close enough! Anbd more on cars in the 80's than now.

I think all the Toyotas are using chains again now.

Reply to
Hachiroku