Rover 214 mpi k-series - noisey engine ticking

I've had an N reg Rover 214 SLi since Jan this year, done 34,500 then, now on 44,000.

Today after a 45 minute run at 4000 rpm on the motorway I noticed a loud ticking had started from under the bonnet. I tried a few things to work out what it was, and it's coming from the engine, not the gearbox or driveshaft. The ticking slows down and speeds up with the revs.

It's quite loud, as I noticed it while tanking up the M1! When I got back I had a rummage around under the bonnet and it's seems like it's coming from the left hand side of the engine (driver's side, near the power steering pump and alternator belt).

I let it cool down (half a day) then started it again and drove off. The ticking started as the engine warmed up about 4-5 mins later. Started it about an hour later and it was still ticking from start up.

I'm worried it's something to do with the timing belt or that it means I've got an engine explosion on my hands soon!

Anyone have any suggestions for what it might be, or what else I can do to find out what's causing it?

(I have always noticed a quiet ticking, but presumed that to be the injectors, this is something different)

Thanks for any help anyone can give...

Reply to
Meza

I've noticed a similar noise which I don't think was there before a recent

300 motorway round trip, mines not a tappet noise and isn't loud, but noticable. When I get time tomorrow I'll investigate to see if it's coming from the same place as yours! Car seems to run fine though. BTW Mines a '98 16v. Post an update if you discover what it is. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

Count me in !! :-( '98 1.6

My wife and I are always noticing it coming and going !

It's being going on for sometime now, so fingers crossed it's nothing too serious, I'd love to know what it is though.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Right I've been having another listen, and it could be coming from the injectors. They are still making their quiet ticking noise that they always have done, so I was wondering if one of them had buggered itself perhaps and was making a lot of noise.

I tried to get to the electrical cables to one by one eliminate them, but the air manifold is in the way.

Othewise the sound could be coming from the cams/valves/tappets.... oeer.

Not really sure what else I can do now appart from take it into a garage :/

Reply to
Meza

Mines gone away at the moment - Weird! One things for sure my gearbox loves the cool weather, all notchiness has gone until the engine gets hot.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish