Camry transmission trouble?

We have a 2000 Camry 4-door sedan (4 cyl.) that has been running fine until just recently, when it has shown a symptom that I'm hoping doesn't mean transmission trouble.

Once in a while when the car is at a stop (in Drive) and you're ready to go and you step on the gas pedal, the motor revs up but the car does not accelerate. After a second or so it begins to move and all is fine.

Today my daughter said she was in the car at a stoplight, and when she pressed the gas not only did it not accelerate, but she thought it felt like it was moving backward--not just drifting backward, but moving as if in reverse gear.

Any idea what's going on here?

Reply to
Al

Have you checked the auto trans fluid? I assume it is an automatic.

Reply to
Art

On the Camry do you check the transmission fluid via the differential fluid stick? I saw no stick marked transmission fluid.

I did check the differential, and it seemed ok for a "cold" level reading.

Reply to
Al

The transmission fluid dipstick is on top of the engine compartment and usually has an orange colored handle. Let the vehicle run for a while and check the dipstick while fluid is hot. The differential is a separate compartment you can only access by getting underneath the vehicle and opening up a bolt and sticking your finger inside the differential housing.

Reply to
badgolferman

I never saw a differential stick, I suggest you get the fluid and filter changed, they must drop the pan for this,

Reply to
m Ransley

Yes, sounds like low fluid level. Do change the strainer and drop the pan for cleaning. Make sure you change the strainer.

Reply to
johngdole

look at

scott