can anything stop a chevy

I've owned a Silverado, Monte Carlo, Camaro, also a Escort (wife), and now i bought a 2001 Camry, I do all my own wrenching/maintenance. I bought the Camry thinking that Toyota had finally stepped up to the plate for quality and reliability, Nope, that Professional Grade stuff is just marketing hype.

That @#%&%! thing started falling apart @ 50,000 mi. when the AC compressor teflon seals went and since then the transmission has eaten its young when the TCC solenoid failed and the sun reaction shell cracked at the spin weld, the engine intake manifold gasket leaked, the wiper control board failed, the rear axles seals failed and ruined the rear brakes in the process, the exhaust system cracked in two and fell off, the brake vacuum booster unit failed, the front ball joints needed to be replaced because the rubber grease bladder rotted and split open, it was recalled because the electric rear-view mirror switch would short out and set the driver's door on fire, it eats brake pads every 25k mi. (and doesn't stop very good when the brakes are OK), the drivers seat rocks back and forth because a small internal piece breaks and I've had to replace the oil lines twice and now the third set are starting to leak at the couplings.

I will never buy a toyota again

from now on it's only Chevy and Ford

Reply to
bob shiply

But other than that do you like it? :)

Mind you if that was happening to my car I might be a tad pissed too.

Based on your experience I really can't blame you for going back.

My experience has been the exact opposite over the last 2 1/2 years the XLE has outperformed and been far more reliable than any murcan car I have owned.

I have been told domestically built Toyotas however do not stand up like the jap versions of which mine is one.

Reply to
Artfulcodger

"the engine intake manifold gasket leaked"

I have this problem too on my 03 Camry, Japanese built. Dealership won't do anything about it...they call it "sweating" !!!

Sorry you hate the Cam so much, I don't blame you at all. The best years were from 92-96...the 97-01 were the worst built by far!

Reply to
hlee

I have an old Camry (1992) with 130 000milles and it's still running like new, no major component were changes ant it's the original exhaust system, but this car was built in japan not in USA.

That mean if you want a reliable car you have to buy one made in japan.

"Artfulcodger" a écrit dans le message de news:psWub.118381$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Reply to
sylvain gagnon

Same here at 180000miles. Front brake pads are still the original ones (!), front exhaust was replaced. Still drives like day #1: same mileage, no oil consumption at all.

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

That's hard to believe.

Reply to
badgolferman

For those of you unfamiliar with the related thread from which this post is "borrowed" it is:

*

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I know, I've never seen this before (previous car was Audi 100 diesel manual transmission, so a Camry with auto trans should need brake pads earlier...)

At 100000miles, the technician asked me 'do you ever brake?' I responded: "Yes, even for animals!" According to the technician, the brake pads had only lost about 1/4.

The rear brakes had to be replaced because the brake cylinder got stuck on one side...

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

Yeah, a number of things can stop a Chevy.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

* Dan, Thanks for pointing out the bs. It didn't sound right for several reasons but, the one that jumped out at me the most was changing the brake pads at

25k. That would almost always be a drivers error for this to happen continuously. davidj92
Reply to
davidj92