How much oil can leak

I replaced the wheel seals in my 59 bug. And they leak. I have done this twice now. The driver side leaks a little. The other side leaks a lot.

The first time I took them apart the rubber seals, for whatever reason, got tweaked. The next time I installed them differently, by placing the spacer and seal into the flange first before installing on the axel race.

I had the trans rebuilt so all of the part upto the bearings were already installed.

Order of installation: Bearing - Large O-ring - Washer (against bearings) - Little O-ring -, Spacer (concave toward little O-ring) - Seal (spring toward axel) - Large washer - Gasket - Flange - 4 bolts @ 40 lbs.

What am I doing wrong?

Some one told me that leaking a little oil was normal - is this true???????????

Reply to
Anthony

Just forget about it, and perhaps consider puirchasing a new and more reliable vehicle.

Reply to
fullopiss

Trolling aside, have you checked the surfaces that rotate inside the seals? If they are at all scratched or gouged, it doesn't matter how well you install the seals. As soon as you drive it, the bad surface will tear the heck out of the seal again, and it will leak.

Reply to
Anthony

No,

however mine does too. At first it leaked on the inside (onto the breakes) Took it apart again, changed the lot and put it together again, this time with a sealant (liquid gasket). Now it is still leaking but on the outside(rim) and only in such a small amount that is traceable when the rim is getting dirty.

You posted about this thread earlier didn't you? I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you the first time, but i hope you'll get the job done this time.

Luck Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Did you torque the axle nuts to spec? I bet not. They must be REALLY tight!

It should be 35 kg/m, that's the same as 70 kg at half a meter, 70 kg is about my weight...and I've got half a meter of cheater bar...

Anth> I replaced the wheel seals in my 59 bug. And they leak. I have done this

Reply to
beetle_boy

I did torque them to 40 ft-lbs. The inside wash even formed.

I am making my third attempt with a new spacer. The new spacer seems a little larger that the old one

Reply to
Anthony Lopez

yes I did post before. Mine don't leak from the paper gasket, they leak from the flange.

Reply to
Anthony Lopez

Leaking a little oil is relatively normal out of the bottom of the sump, but definitely not good out of your hubs/axle, especially as it tends to leak in to your brakes and stop them stopping you.

It took me about three goes to get mine to seal properly when I did a backplate a couple of years ago. I eventually found the right steps of putting the seals on out of a catalogue at a garage. I took a photo of it so I could get it right and I've put it up here for you...

I had to get a fresh kit of seals for one side as a I knackered a set putting them in wrong and they kept leaking. I figured paying a few quid for a another new set of seals was better than dying in a crash because my brakes didn't work.

At some point I'll finish writing up what I did to replace the rear brake backplate, by far the most complicated thing I've done and a right pain to get right.

Cheers

Paul

-- Stuff I've learnt fixing my VW Beetle:

paulsilver

The SAGA continues

So I got a new spacer kit (Latest Rage) as the sale person infoms me that they some times wear our. When I get home I notice that the new spacer is just a little longer. So I put in a new seal kit and the new spacer and tighten every thing down. Well I have, to this point anyway, stopped the leaking.

Figuring everything was OK, I started to put on my rear disc brakes. As I tighten the nut, the wheel started to turn in the direction of the tightening. Sounded like crackly rubber. So figuring the seals or O-ring was seating I kept turning the wheel nut to tighten. Then I thought, maybe I should remove the disc and inspect one final time. Well all is still dry! BUT the spacer (oil sling) seems to be cracked all the way around.

I know this can be good, but since it is not leaking I will continue on. First I will wait a few days to see if oil leaks through.

So unless one of you all says otherwise I will continue.

Reply to
Anthony Lopez