Can't find leak in my trunk

I keep a lot of paperbound books in my trunk and yesterday I noticed most of them were soaked and moldy. I threw them all and noticed the wet spot was right in the middle of the trunk. I can't find a leak. I have a 1990 Camry, has anyone else had experience with a leak in their trunk?

Reply to
joe54345

I have had leaks in the trunk before. Most times it is because the seal has developed a break or hole that allows water in. Water travels in a way that is not always obvious so don't look directly above the wet spot. I also had a leak in the cubbyhole where the jack is kept because of the tube that comes down from the sunroof area. The tube had been pulled out of the drain hole and was filling up the compartment with water.

Reply to
badgolferman

The weird part is that nothing on top was wet it was all wet from the carpeting. That makes me think that the leak is coming from underneath, What could be causing that. I checked the seam around the hood and it seems fine, can anyone give me a list of the other places that might form a leak? I don't have a sunroof so I don't think there is any hose that goes through my trunk.

Reply to
joe54345

Just because the carpeting is wet and not the trunk lid doesn't mean anything. The water in the carpeting could have been there for quite some time.

Another place to look is the seal around the tail lights. Look for evidence of rust from the inside of the trunk around the lights. Maybe even the lock. I had a Nissan Sentra that had a hole underneath the rubber seal of the trunk lid where the raised lip that holds the seal is.

Reply to
badgolferman

-check under the trunk lid seal... the metal might be rusted out...

-take everything out of your trunk(carpet, spare tire, everything) and go to a car wash. As soon as you come out of the wash open up the trunk and feel around for water...

The first camry i had(89) a rust hole under the seal and water leaked in... I fixed it with duct tape

Reply to
DSPL

Thanks for all the advice. I believe I found the leak. I replaced my back left tailight about 6 months ago and I don't think the seal has held I'm going to take it off this weekend and reseal it with silicon.

Reply to
joe54345

Good job. How did you find it?

Reply to
badgolferman

It rained and I noticed that there was some water in the left wheel well, so I combined that with the fact I changed the tail light a couple of months ago. There is a gap between the tail light and the metal so I'm about 85% sure that's it from what's been written above. I'll let you know if it works.

Reply to
joe54345

Reply to
Stuuder

Are all the body plugs installed?

You may want to get into the trunk with a flashlight. Have someone run water over the car. Use the light to help locate the leak.

Reply to
Clay

Best be someone you trust.

Reply to