Chattering windshield wipers on new Camry LE

I have a brand new Camry LE that I purchsed less than a week ago. Today I was driving in the rain for the first time and the windshield wipers were driving me crazy. They chatter, skip, make noise. I looked at the blades but they seem to be OK. I will take the car to the Toyota dealer at the first chance.

For now, I am wonerding if the arms have some balancing/adjustment capability, or the blades are the only ones to blame for this???

Reply to
DavYY

What is in the washer reservoir? Try filling with commercial washer fluid and a few ounces of Armoral (as a lubricant). Also, clean the windshield with this new solution.

Reply to
Philip ®

My grandfather had the same problem with his Acura for a long time and had it looked at by dealers many times. They always told him it "worked as designed." He didn't settle for that explanation and eventually after many letters to Acura a regional director listened to the car and told the service manager to replace the blades. That took care of the problem for good.

Reply to
badgolferman

Try having the dealer install new wiper blades first. Do not try to bend the wiper arms. Often cleaning the rubber wiper blades thoroughly can help, they get dirt or pollutants on the surface which can cause them to skip rather than slide. Can't remember whether it was ammonia or 303 Aerospace protectant, but I remember cleaning the wiper blades once, and the rag kept coming up black - required several passes to clean thoroughly. A lot of dirt can settle on the wiper blades and people often don't think to clean them. With a car that new, have them try fresh wiper blades for you first.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

It's funny that he made such a big hassle for himself to do everything except change the wipers himself. People would free themselves from all responsibility if they could.

Reply to
AV

Use rubbing alcohol to clean and soften the rubber blades.

Steve B

Reply to
Steve B

OK, make sure the blade edge is 90' to the windsheild surface. Otherwise, it will wipe OK one way and chop thge other direction.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Very possibly it is as simple as a film on the windshield.Have you been to one of those car wash/ hot wax places? I'd try cleaning the windshield vigorously with Windex and then wipe the wiper blades clean.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Id clean the blades and winsheild with alcohol first. Philip says put in armoral,that may give you some bad effects.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Ever try it, "mark?"

Reply to
Philip ®

Yes and it made it not clean right, but maybe to much was used, and it seemed to put a film on the glass. I tried rain x also, that also left a film. Do you only use a drop in a tank, and havnt you noticed a film that remains. The idea is good , but i havnt had good results.

Reply to
mark Ransley

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2174.public.lawson.webtv.net, mark Ransley being of bellicose mind posted:

I used about a tablespoon in a quart of windshield fluid. Worked just fine.

Reply to
Philip ®

Thanks Philip ill try it

Reply to