Coolant type

91 toyota camry, japanese 2.0 4 cylinder engine. regular green coolant or toyota red?
Reply to
justinm930

Toyota red and distilled water. If you've got green in there, make sure you get it all out first.

Reply to
Daniel

It doesn't matter just make sure the stuff is ok for aluminum heads and change it ever 2 years or so (unless you like buying readiators). Unless you have mineral laden well water I don't believe distilled water is necessary at all. Does any one have solid reference saying to use distilled. I agree in batteries use only distilled water. I've not seen a dealership with jugs of distilled water --- just a hose.

Reply to
Wolfgang

You dont need toy coolant be sure it is for aluminum though. Distilled water is best then you know the mineral content is low

Reply to
m Ransley

Go with the red Toyota stuff, it may be a couple bucks more but you know it is the right stuff.

Reply to
Rob

I don't believe distilled water is necessary at all. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Next car you buy - try it. For $2 every couple of years I think you'll see quite a difference. I know I have. ~~~~~~~~~~~ I've not seen a dealership with jugs of distilled water --- just a hose. ~~~~~~~~~~ Does this dealer also sell new cars?

Reply to
Daniel

I have radiator deposits, maybe the jerk that flushed my system now screwed it from tap water. Distilled is best, minerals clog the fin holes, then its overheat time. You need minerals in your system, your car does not.

Reply to
m Ransley

Nothing is necessary in a cooling system, just as no one oil is necessary in the crankcase. There are oils that are better than others just as distilled water is better than tap water as almost all of the minerals, salts and chemical additives have been left behind in the distilling process, so you don't have them to contend with in the cooling system.

If you're talking about servicing the cooling system every two years that's a great tip. Prolongs the life of internal(s) in the cooling system.

I've seen some that have a hose and quite a few that have distilled water. Many of the premixed antifreezes you buy use distilled water.

New cars come from the factory with distilled water. A couple points and I'll shut up: Mineral, salts and chemical deposits in the cooling system can be boiled out (with or without chemicals), backflushed out to varying degrees of success and at a small cost plus time invested. Worst case, parts like radiator, hoses, pumps and etc can be replaced due to damage from these deposits at a higher cost and time investment. What happens when the internals of the engine casting's cooling passages get gummed up with deposits? Unstable heat, unstable fuel trim, head problems, head gasket problems, metal fatigue caused by hot spots where deposits are thick. All these at great expense and tiime investment. OR, you can use distilled water for less than $2.00 each time you r&r your coolant and, in theory, have none of the above listed problems. I think it's a no brainer. HTH, davidj92

P.S. If it hasn't been said before in this thread you should use distilled water in batteries when topping off for all the same reasons.

Reply to
davidj92

You need minerals in your system, your car does not. ~~~~~~~~ Wondered if someone would bring this up. I drink only distilled water. Inorganic minerals don't benefit your system either. You need minerals that can be assimilated by the body. Sucking on an iron nail doesn't get iron into your bloodstream, eating iron rich vegetables does - you absorb and digest minerals from food, not water. When water evaporates and then condenses again (distilation process) the contaminants are left behind, leaving only chemically pure water - actually better for your body, your cooling system and your battery. The amount of water on the earth is unchanged since creation. The only thing that changes is the solids dissolved in it.

Reply to
Daniel

Not true Dan , minerals in water are benefiting your body. Why drink distilled water, good things are removed, filtering water to remove chemicals is smart, but boiling to remove minerals no..

Reply to
m Ransley

I just had the coolant changed at the dealer that sells new cars. They used Toyota coolant and tap water. Should I sue???

Of course not. If you have high mineral content, by all means use distilled. If you are doing it yourself, and are a stickler, use distilled. But if you are only planning to drive the car a few hundred thousand miles, it's ok to go with tap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave